Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something New-Honey-Chili Glazed Pork Chops

FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife developed a pork allergy while she was pregnant last year (:(), so I've been pig-deprived for a while. She took the baby to visit her parents last weekend, so I planned to have a nice porky weekend and make some ribs and pulled pork. Unfortunately, when I went to the butcher shop, they were decidedly unprepared for the nice weather we were having, being mostly stocked with some grey looking leftover corned beef from St. Patrick's Day. I grabbed some pork chops and decided to have those for dinner, and try another butcher the next day (where I did score a butt and some baby backs).

Since I hadn't planned to have pork chops for dinner, I was making it up as I went. I didn't have time to brine or marinate them, so I decided to put on a rub (used some leftover rub I had made up for a butt cook), quickly sear them, then smoke them over low indirect heat till done. I sprayed them with some cider vinegar a few times while cooking, and glazed them during the last few minutes of the cook with a glaze I made up using 1/3 cup honey, 2 tablespoons orange juice, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and a coarsely chopped serrano chile.

I liked how these came out, and I really liked the flavor of the glaze. They came out a bit dry though, which I could have fixed by brining if I had the time. Also, while I got a nice smoke flavor, I barely got any visible smoke ring, which I thought was a bit strange. Not sure if this is because I seared them 1st, but they tasted fine, so I guess I don't really care.

A full writeup of my cook can be found on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2010/03/recipe-smoked-pork-chops-with-honey-chili-glaze-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

6a00e5502e1c0188340120a96ad204970b-800wi

Enjoy!

-John

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    John it looks as you are on to something.
    Just a thought: what if you seared after smoking and would also sear in the sauce even more?
    They do look good....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey,

I thought about searing after to improve the smoke penetration, and will probably try that next time. I'm a bit concerned about burning the glaze though.

-John