Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too much smoke

Ms.
Ms. Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK. Now fourth day on the egg, fifth meal.

And I am discovering a problem. My egg produces too much smoke. Well, I know I am fully responsible for that, but I am just wondering if I am getting the hang of it.

I use the Big Green Egg charcoal provided as a freebe by my dealer. No wood, just the charcoal.

But I have discovered lately that the egg lets out lots of smoke. Not only the neighbours will complain (and start asking for a vote agains coal cooking, like in the town next door), but worse still, it makes the food taste less good, especially the veggies.

I tried something, but I'm not certain if it was pure coincidence or if I am really getting on to something.

I closed more of the bottom vent, and less of the top vent. Seemed to reduce the wind. The fiance says it's a coincidence. Is it?

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    If the food tastes bitter from the smoke, you need to let it burn off longer before putting the food on. Place your hand over the top vent for a few seconds, then smell your palm. If it has little to no smell - time to cook!

About your neighbor - just take them some egg'd food every once in a while and you won't hear any complaints! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    some meals will produce more smoke than othere. if you are using a drip pan directly on the plate setter, you could be burning the drippings,,,,use something to create space between drip pan and plate setter...... another thought, burgers and other foods will put off more smoke,,,,,,,, hang in there, it sounds like you are doing fine....you are already a egghead, so relax...... B)

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I am wondering if you are not letting the lump burn clean before placing your food on the egg.

Before you cook put you hand over the top vent, be careful of the potential heat. Smell the aroma of your hand. If it smells pleasant you are ready to cook. If it smells acrid, let the lump burn clean further.

Clean Burning Smoke

Look for a light or clear/blue smoke.

GG
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Why would a town vote against charcoal cooking? Some people need a life!

Cheers,

BeerMike
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Wow, I feel bad that you have to deal with such lousy neighbors. I have had a firepit a small chracoal grill and a propane all fired up and roaring at the saem time in my back yard. I'm pretty sure you could smell the would burning and the short ribs cooking from a block away. Its a neighborhood, thats why I bought a house with no HOA, so I could do what I pleased.

I just try to keep the noise down is all.

The best tip I can give you is use a charcoal chimney to light your coals. Let them get really hot, to where the chimney looks like a big blow torch, then pour them into the egg.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC05336JPGx.jpg

Every time someone mentions smoking out the neighbors I think of this photo I took of my buddy about 7AM one morning. We started cooking about 150 pounds of meat at 7PM the night before. Now, not only were we up all night, but it gets better..... at about noon, close to 180 people showed up for food and drink.

Needless to say the neighbors had an invitation, and got a huge go-box of brisket and lamb.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ms.
    Ms. Posts: 145
    Well, that's our neighbourhing town. A very uppity kind of people. My town is more of a mix and match of all kinds of people - strike that, the last of the Hell's Angels got busted last year (no kidding).

At any rate, I feel my town is more down to earth than the neighbour, but still, you never know. In the town next door, they have banned the construction of any more fireplace (except gas fireplaces). And now they would be planning to ban smokers and charcoal grils, but I believe they are hesitating because some citizens have declared they would contest the ruling in court.

But, hey, here in our village, we say that the people from there smell roses when they fart! (am I allowed to say the word "fart" here?) :lol:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Way to go Third Eye & what a great picture.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    :silly: Fart, well put a match to their rosy butts and let em burn. :woohoo:

Now go cook out and Egg on. :laugh:

Regards,
    Bordello