Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Wok Help

Options
skyhopsing
skyhopsing Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I put my cast iron wok on my egg this afternoon. Though it was hot enough. I poured in the peanut oil and about a minute later the peanut oil caught fire. I shut everything down and cooled everything off. Then I swapped out the cast iron wok for my Carbon Steel. My question is how is the best way to control or measure the wok temperature. I am thinking about purchasing a instant read spot thermometer. Thanks in Advance.

Bob

DSC_0156.jpg
DSC_0157.jpg
DSC_0158.jpg
DSC_0159.jpg

The Calamari was excellent, my wife would not eat the tentacles because they looked like aliens! Good for me.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new wife. :S
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When you say I poured my peanut oil on the wok, you scare me. How much oil and what were you trying to cook. Been using woks for 30 years and never had one catch on fire, even when cooking a deep fried something on a large gas wok ring.
    To test the heat, I just splash a few drops of water and if they dance and sing it is hot enough for my needs.
    IMHO don't waste $$ for a thermometer to measure the temp in a wok.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Build a smaller fire with less charcoal. I have a cast iron wok also but I don't use it anymore because of the weight. I'm ok lifting the hammered steel wok with one hand, can't do that with my cast iron.
    I like the cast iron for cooking otherwise, had some really nice stir fry outa that wok. Never had a flair-up.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Hey Rich:
    I tried that new wife thing (a long time ago already now) it really doesn't make a differance!
    One or another, you just gotta' live your life!
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Richard you are SOOO right!
    When it "dances" your at about 400 F. and ready to rock!
    I guess an additional point I would make (if I read this right), is to add the oil and heat it with the wok, pan, Dutch oven...What ever.
    Don’t wait for the pan to get “hot” and then add oil.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but everything I have ever heard or read says to heat the wok first, then add oil. Otherwise, food will stick to the wok. This is for stir frying where you only use a tablespoon or so. Has always worked for me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Absolutely! In fact, I've been told this is the correct procedure for any kind of saute, despite what food network may tell you. They say add cold oil to cold pan, and then heat "until it ripples" or something similar. One of the blogs I follow is by an instructor at CIA who regularly lambasts bad technique by tv cooking personalities, and that one in particular is a pet peeve of his. Oil should always be added to a hot pan, according to him.

I've added oil to a hot wok and had it immediately catch fire. That was a HOT wok! But unless you're deep frying, it shouldn't be a huge deal. Might get a little off-flavor, but I didn't notice it. I just tossed my beef right into the flames, and they immediately died down. It was a very quick stir-fry, though. The meat was done instantly.

To the original poster:
    Part of the problem is probably that you waited too long before adding the meat. When you're stir-frying on the egg, your wok will get much hotter than on the stove. You need to move very fast. Don't wait a minute or two for your oil to heat up. Get your wok hot, add the oil, and then immediately add the meat. When I need lower heat (for sauteeing garlic and for steaming veggies), I either flip the spider over, so the ring is higher, or I occasionally pull the wok up out of the fire, to keep the temperature down. Temps can also be controlled by closing the bottom vent.
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    You might try flipping your spider over, so that the wok sits a little higher. Still plenty of heat, but more controllable with the lower draft door. Easier to grab those wok handles also. Just my 2 cents.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Weather you place your oil in the wok and then heat or heat and then oil, NEVER NEVER place chili oil or any chili based liquid in the hot wok first. It may flash and your eyes and nostrils will never forgive you.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive done that before indoors no vent fan :laugh: i can tell you there was no deep breaths for days, wow does that take the wind out of you :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    Options
    I agree. Flip it over.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i like the carbon steel better but something i didnt see mentioned was your lower vent. i bring temps to about 600 dome, open dome and completly shut the lower vent until flames disapear, and then i cook that way open dome lower vent shut, minimizes the fire from taking off
    fukahwee maine

• Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    i like the carbon steel better but something i didnt see mentioned was your lower vent. i bring temps to about 600 dome, open dome and completly shut the lower vent until flames disapear, and then i cook that way open dome lower vent shut, minimizes the fire from taking off

Are you stabilizing the temp around 600° for this, or just letting that initial temp climb get that high before opening dome & shutting lower vent?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i stabilize it then wait about twenty min with dome open and vent shut. stays hot enough to cook without the flames taking off. works pretty good for stirfries and as you get better you can go hotter. dont go hotter though for deep frying :whistle: you dont neeed flames for stir frys, you just need hot coals
    fukahwee maine

• Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Thanks, that's good info!