Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunshine State Eggfest Empanadas Part II Filling

Options
Our Nicky
Our Nicky Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In my previous post I described how I made the dough. This post will cover the filling. The measurements are deliberately approximate as there really isn't a hard and fast set of rules about proportions of ingredients. If you make more filling than you have pastry for freeze it or eat it on it's own - it's an great meal in itself. If you have more pastry freeze it as long as it's well wrapped.

You will need

1 1/2 - 2 lbs good stewing beef chopped into 1/8" cubes(I used outside round but only after searing it on the Egg and cooking it sous vide for 24 hours - more on that in another post)
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter
1/4 cup EVOO or good quality lard melted (I used EVOO)
3-4 med onions chopped
4-6 med potatoes in 1/8"dice
1 tsp - 1 tbs crushed red pepper flakes - to taste (I used 1 tbs)
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs smoked paprika
4- 6 green onions - chop white and green parts separately
1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Half a cup of pitted green olives
3- 5 hardboiled eggs corsely chopped

The last two ingredients and the about 40% of the butter are better added when the empanadas are assembled. I added all the butter and the green olives to the mixture and omitted the hardboiled eggs as I need to freeze the empanadas for transportation to the Sunshine State Eggfest.

I think chopping the meat works better than grinding or buying already ground, it retains its juices better. I chopped the meat but I had already seared it on the egg and cooked it sous vide for 24 hours

Saute the onions in 4-6 tbs butter and a tbs of lard until translucent. Add white parts of green onions, cumin, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes.

Cut remaining butter into small pieces for later assembly and keep cool - the butter that is.

Sear meat in batches and spread it on a tray so it doesn't steam. When all the meat is seared add to the onions mixture

Add diced potatoes to a pan of cold salted water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 6- 7 minutes until tender.

The easiest way I've found to dice potatoes in a 1/8" dice is with one of those 'as seen on TV' dicers that press a 1/8" slice through a 1/8" grid. Doesn't work well for the meat though.

Add coarsely chopped oregano leaves, potatoes and EVOO to meat and onions mixture.

Stir in chopped green parts of green onions.
Cover and chill - overnight is fine. Test for seasonings the next day when the flavours have melded.

Assembly and cooking in Part III