Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I DID IT!!!!!

Options
Hillbilly
Hillbilly Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My new Large Big Green Egg was just delivered. It is too late to cook tonight so I will devour the cook book, the video and recipes on this web site tonight. Will go to butcher shop tomorrow to get some real meat. Can hardly wait. I found some 5/4 Red Oak in my workshop and will start a Egg Table in a few days.
I am eggscited!

Comments

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Hillbilly,
    skip the manual

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    hillbilly,[p]use the manual to start your first fire[p]

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    Hillbilly, as the other poster said - forget the book. Do your homework here, check out the links to other outstanding web sites about the BGE - Tim M, GFW, TNW's - you will find lots of good idea's and info.[p]Put the book that came with the Egg on a shelf somewhere and let it start collecting dust.[p]The search function on this from is "iffy" at best, but a Google search works just fine.[p]Congrats on the purchase of one darn fine cooking tool. I liked my first one so much, I bought a second one. Plan on hanging out here a lot - ask questions - read previous posts. Tons of fun!![p]LVM

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    Congrats!! Burn the manual first! Most the of the stuff in there is worthless. Hang around here and we'll get you through it and teach you how to get the most out of it. Bein' the friendly bunch that we are.[p]Resist...I said Resist the urge to do steaks right off. That egg is virgin and if you get it to hot right off you might end up with a cracked firebox if you go over 750°. [p]Do some low and slow cooks first to season it in right. Then go for it. Still, stay below 750° or you could weld the gasket shut.[p]Other than that the sky is the limit. You'll love cooking on this egg. Nothing like it.[p]Even temps friend.
  • StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    Options
    How you doin' rascal? Always glad to hear from you.[p]Yeah, chuck that manual right in the firebox.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Hillbilly,[p]Congratulations! Now, burn the manual (is there an echo in here?).[p]As others have said, you'll find all you will ever need to know right here in the forum and on forum member websites. Here's a link to the BGE page on my website for some pics and tips.[p]Welcome and good luck![p]TRex
    [ul][li]Some of my cooks[/ul]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Hillbilly,[p]Here's another great place to start for recipes.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Whiz's Info Central[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Hillbilly,
    Congrats, you will not be disapppointed.[p]CWM

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hillbilly,
    Congratulations,be sure to come here for any help needed.
    Don't forget to fill out the warranty card and send it in. Let us know how your first cook comes out.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Hillbilly,
    WELCOME!!! We're all nucken futz over our BGE's. Joe

• bodean
    bodean Posts: 19
    Options
    Get temp up to 300 throw in manual...cook for about 15 minutes...flip...cook another 15 minutes.....
    Should be done..........
    I suggest direct heat.........[p]BTW Welcome..........You are now hooked.........[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Hillbilly, Welcome to the wierd and freaky world of eggdom, where you start speaking in tongues about such topics, as butt rubs, mustard baths, good bark, resting your meat. Ahh and a wonderful bunch of freaks we are. Welcome I say, Welcome!!!!!

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    Hillbilly,
    welcome! before ya burn that manual fill out and send in the warranty card....then burn the sucker![p]Penny

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Hillbilly,
    Welcome...feel free to nose around my website, may be some info of use to ya there..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]