Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BRISKET Today!

Options
banzaitoyota
banzaitoyota Posts: 173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just fired the egg up for my first brisket, loosely following the recipe in the new EGG BIBLE that my wife picked up for me Friday

brisket-start.jpg

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    Good luck, I am trying my first today as well. COuld only get a flat though.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Are you cooking that direct or is there a spider/stone under that brisket?
  • Eggsimus Maximus
    Options
    I've got the same question as Fidel. After about 15 hours, I'm getting ready to pull my first brisket off my egg. I used a plater setter with a drip pan and kept the dome temp at 230*.

Curious to see how yours turns out. Keep us posted.
  • banzaitoyota
    Options
    Did a 275º "Sear" for 1/2 hour on each side on direct. Then lowered temp to 225º and put grate on top of plate setter for the rest of the cook.
    Method is outlined in the New BGE Cookbook.
  • ResQue
    Options
    I have a 4.87# brisket flat to cook and it is approx 1-1.5" thick. It seems odd to me that this would take between let's say 5-10 hours to cook based on the 1-2 hours per pound theory. The reason I question this is the thickness. Any input?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Trust that it will. Probably closer to the 1 hour per pound than 2 considering it is a flat. If it is trimmed it will probably be a bit shorter.

Full packer briskets go in the 1.5 hour per pound range - generally speaking. I just finished one that was 10 pounds in the package, probably 8.5 when I put it on. It took about 14 hours at 235-240 indirect.
  • ResQue
    Options
    It is trimmed more than I would have liked so closer to 1per # is probably right. Thanks for the info.