Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly-Bacon and Braise (tons of pics)

Options
Smokin' not stirred
Smokin' not stirred Posts: 301
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up 12lbs of pork belly about 2 weeks ago. Decided to braise and smoke a couple pounds and make bacon with the rest. Props to Thirdeye, Stripsteak, and Jeffersonian for the info on the bacon process. It was fun and will definitely try again.

First the belly:

IMG_0721.jpg

The Braise
Cut off about 1 lb and added a garlic, salt, pepper paste rolled, tied and seared

IMG_0724.jpg

In the braise (red wine, carrots, red onion, head of garlic). The meat didn't take on the braise as much as I'd like. I think I'll change it up next time.

IMG_0725.jpg

Smoked with apple wood. I will try a heavier wood next time.It was good and the fat is melty delicious. A few changes and this would be outstanding.

IMG_0728.jpg

Ok, bacon,
Cured with pink salt, kosher salt, brown sugar, and maple syrup for 10 days. Amazingly the bacon wasn't as salty as I thought it should be. I think I will omit the syrup next time.

IMG_0744.jpg

Smoked with apple wood until 150 internal

IMG_0746.jpg

The pile, sliced with a carving knife...that sucked

IMG_0757.jpg

Had to fry up a piece, best bacon I have ever had

IMG_0755.jpg

Well worth the effort.

Comments