Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Check: Am I ok?

Options
toothpick
toothpick Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yowza. Just happened to wake up and my dome temp snuck up to 300 on me! The grate temp is 247 on my new Maverick (set an alarm for 255, which had not triggered yet). The dome thermometer is calibrated. Haven't calibrated the maverick yet. Is this a reasonable discrepancy betw dome and grate?

I've only done a couple of butts before. Am I ok since the temps rose on me like that? I'm assuming this isn't the end of the world, but I wish it hadn't spiked on me. No telling how long it's been cruising at this temp, but it could have been a couple of hours. . .

Comments

• CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Toothpick,

You'll be fine. What are your vent settings, top and bottom?

Did you let the egg and any indirect pieces stabilize at 250º before loading the butt(s)?

I would close the vents to about the thickness of a credit card, set an alarm for 0600 and check on it then. You will soon get a feel for your egg and just know where the vent settings need to be for any particular temperature. My large loves 250º dome with the leaves on the DFMT (Dual Function Metal Top) about 1/8" open at the widest part of the ovals and the lower vent about 3/16" open.

Don't worry too much and cook to the internal temperature of the meat. I usually go to 200º and have had plenty of great pulled pork and excellent feedback from friends about the BBQ.

Post your results, with pics, when she's done.

Cheers,

Joe
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Your butt is fine! Butts are very forgiving. Some folks even cook at 300F for the duration. Pull your butt off at 192F, let it rest for about an hour or two in a cooler packed with blankets. It'll be perfect. HTH.
  • Tammy
    Tammy Posts: 7
    Options
    So you're in Charlotte? What time you want us for dinner? ;)
  • toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    Options
    Thanks for the love, BrewanddQue, Big'un and Tammy.

Yeah, I'm doing two butts (15 lbs total) and they seem to be trucking right along. I thought they'd be ok, but needed a little reassurance.

When it's all ready I'll put together some pics on here for your enjoyment. Perhaps not just pics of pork, but of Tammy & Co. too if y'all join us. Dinner's at 6! We got 18 folks coming. What's a few more?