Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Question ???

Options
Trout Bum
Trout Bum Posts: 343
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If the the temps for cooking pork are 150 degrees = minimum safe temp, 160 degrees = medium, 170 degrees = well why do all the pulled pork recipes call for it to be cooked to an internal temp of 180, 190 and in some cases 200 degrees. I'm assuming that cooking to a higher internal temp is what breaks down the fatty tissue and makes the pork pullable, am I correct. What temp you you all cook your pulled pork to? Thanks in advance for the replies...

Comments

• Pig Sooie
    Pig Sooie Posts: 26
    Options
    Big Daddy,[p]I've had great results at an internal temperature of 200-205 F.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    You cook pork butt/shoulder/picnic to 200 degrees or so in order to break down the collagen, which turns to gelatin. This makes the meat pullable and juicier. Also, pork may be safely cooked to temperatures lower than 150. Pork today is almost totally free of (I can't spell it) trichaenosis.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Big Daddy,[p]If you do a Web search, you'll find that the last recorded case or tric in pork was something like 20 years ago. We are eating pork loins pulled off the Egg at 140-145, and now look at anything more as "overdone" - too dry and flavorless.[p]The high temp for pulled pork is the same as with brisket - that hard collagen needs to break down or you'll have tough meat. Ironically, that broken-down collagen moistens the meat and contributes to the sweetness.[p]Bob V