Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

nature boy thanks for the rubs and all the help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I are loving all the rubs! One of friends like them so much she just ordered from you. I was the new guy just purchased a demo at Waldorf. Have been loving this egg. getting 1000deg in ten min to sear the perfect steaks. After leaving the parking lot party I stoped on my way home and purchase a picnic, took it home and smoked it for mothers day. Everyone loved it. It cooked a little fast, made the mistake of starting the fire in three spots and then could not keep it below 300deg. I just but six butts on 5 hours ago and have had it steady at 190 for the last 4. put your coarse rub on, used half the rub on the six butts. they smell awsome. the meat is already at 143, is that normal for 5 hrs at this low of heat?[p]Lance

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    You need to take your heat up to 250° dome temp. Your temp at the grate is probably only 170° or so if your dome temp is 190°. The internal temp will rise fairly quickly on the meat, but you should run into a "plateau" between 165° and 175° degrees where the temp stays the same or may even drop for a few hours.[p]Jim
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    jumpin jack flash,
    Starting in 3 spots shouldn't pose a problem if you approach your temp from below and start shutting down vents before you get there. If you read my page about my first pulled pork cook, I dump a chimney full of rocket roaring lump in the cooker, but by time I added the plate setter, grate and meat, it was down below 200 and I had to raise it back slowly up to 230. Lowering the temperature is only a problem once the ceramic gets above your target temperature.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    JSlot,
    why 250, that seams high. I have one of those digital polder duel temp probes in now. the oven temp is reading the same as the bge thermometer. I did get it upto 200, that was the goal.

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    For the first time, first night, 1 am, not bad. I was afraid to go to sleep and find the fire out. Now I have the top and bottom just ever cracked and its holding 200 for 5 hours

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    jumpin jack flash,
    If you have the remote probe to monitor and alert you to drops in temps you will be alright. Jslot's comments have merit in that 200 seems to be the minimum run temp you need to ensure an overnight fire stays lit. At or below 200 you 'may' be risking a collapsed/failed fire. Also, the remarks about 250 as an ideal temp. Many folks here have done many pulled pork cooks and I think it's safe to say that a general concensus has formed among many of us that you can do a pork cook at up to 250F grate level on an indirect set-up without compromising the full low n' slow rendering properties/moisture retention of the meat.
    Qfan