Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Wok Cook

Options
skyhopsing
skyhopsing Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first cook with the spider and Carbon Steel wok. The set up was great. The wok gets extremely hot. Great for stir fry. Chicken and veggies only cook for maybe a little longer than a minute. Crisp and tender. Need to work on the sauce though. Maybe not enough corn starch, kinda watery. If anyone has any pointers send them my way!IMGDSC_0145.jpg
DSC_0146.jpgDSC_0148.jpgDSC_0149.jpg

Comments

• reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That looks fantastic!! Doesn't look too watery to me. Where did you get your wok?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    skyhopsing,

Looks terrific! I keep some thai chili, black bean and hoisin or oyster sauce handy. They all help thicken. I also make more slurry than I need and add a little at a time.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Looks great to me. Can't wait to get a wok myself so I can start putting together some dishes like that!
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Looks fantastic. Am waiting delivery from CGS next week for my set up. Can't wait. Did you pre-season your wok or just go at it as is?
  • MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Options
    Skyhopsing, that looks great....

Looks like I'm going to have to order the spider!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Skyhopsing, Your first wok cook looks great. If it's too watery it could be due to: The wok not being hot enough, overcrowding of the wok with food, , not drying your meat thoroughly, not enough slurry (corn starch, hoisin, bean paste...)or not allowing the slurry to reduce / thicken enough., or overcooking veggie with a high water content, such as cabbage. I really couldn't diagnose a problem from your pics. It looked really good! :)

(Steven, doe you speak Cantonese or Mandarin? lol)
  • skyhopsing
    Options
    I think it might of been not enough slurry. Rest assured the wok was plenty hot. I believe I saw a glow of red on the bottom.

I used the oven method to season the wok. Washed it several times, coated it with canola oil and bake it at 450 for 20 minutes, let is cool, wash out the inside with hot water and a scrub brush. Dry with paper towels, reapply oil with a paper napkin and repeat. I did this four times. By the four time it was well seasoned and ready for use.

Looking forward to my next wok cook. This really adds a new dimension to BGE Cooking!

Fast and Healthy TOO!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Looks great. btw, your first photo is not showing due to missing ] after [/IMG
    canuckland
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    Looks wonderful! I need to try that and soon!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Looks terrific! Woking in the egg is fun, we just love the wok. Cornstarch mixed with a little cold water thickens up the juices just fine for me at the end of the cook. Watch out for sugars in sauces, it tends to burn in the heat and also makes the wok more difficult to clean. I clean the wok as soon as I'm done cooking with hot water and a rag then rinse with more hot water and towel dry. Then I add a touch of shortening to coat the inside using a paper towel to wipe it around and I'm good to store away. I keep the shortening to a very thin coat.
    Wok on!
  • skyhopsing
    Options
    DSC_0144.jpg

Here is the first image that did not post.