Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Spatchcock Chicken

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, no you haven't lost your mind. Yes, I am asking a question about my own favorite chicken method.[p]Last weekend I tried cooking it indirect over a drip pan. It was a 4 pound bird, temp was 375, on a raised grip over a drip pan on the plate setter. The egg was allow to preheat for about 1/2 hour. [p]To make a long story short, the wife had to leave for a meeting, so after an hour, I had to take the bird off and it wasn't done yet. I nuked it and all was well, but does anyone who cooks a bird this way have an estimate on how long it takes to finish the bird? [p]Thanks!
TNW

The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Indirect? Thats why- I do 1 4-4.5 lb bird at 350 for an hour-DIRECT. So it would make sence to me that doing it indirect would make it take much longer, even at 375. Indirect is more like baking rather than roasting.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    WailingAngusBeef,
    I assumed it would take longer, the wife's meeting was a mid-cook surprise! I was just wondering, since I didn't get to finish the bird on the egg, if anyone had some timings. Next time, assuming I have as much time as I need, I'll use the ol' Thermapen....
    TNW

The Naked Whiz