Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet Another NEWBIE with Questions !!! LONG

Options
BIG BAD JOHN
BIG BAD JOHN Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been grilling for about 23 years now, even in the snow before that was popular (though my neighbors who called me crazy followed suit after smelling my smoke!) and have always cooked on metal grills. I stared with Hibachi's, moved on to other Wally World specials (MECO), had a Kingsford Oval which I LOVED, and now a 22" Weber.[p]I've been very successful grilling meats on these metal grills with an indirect heat method at low temperatures...the meat is juicy, tender, and flavorful. I'm now wanting to move up to the EGG after having only recently discovered it to expand my cooking to vegetables, fruits, desserts, etc.[p]My main question relates to grill size. I spoke with the folks at the main office this morning after reading some tantalizing posts regarding the new XL model and had this rumor confirmed. The new XL will have a diameter of approximately 24" and will be available sometime late summer, early autumn. The way I now cook on the 22" Weber is to construct a "pyramid" of briquettes in the CENTER of the grill, starting with a base of 4 x 5 briquettes and building up from there. I soak each layer of briquettes with lighter fluid as I build my pyramid and let it set for about 10 minutes before lighting. The food is placed around the edge of the grill in a circle with the pyramid in the center. No food is over the top of the pyramid...EVER. This method has been very successful for me, but will my style change with the EGG? If this method works well on the EGG, I need to wait for the LX model. If direct, low-heat methods work better, then the L model might be fine. I ususally cook for 4 to 6 people, two of which are my teenage sons (bottomless pits!). With my current style and the number of people I feed, the Weber is just big enough for my needs. Considering that I now want to add foods like vegetables, etc., I'm concerned about the 18" size of the L model. When you switched, did your methods of cooking change enough on the EGG to warrant the smaller size?[p]Also a question on charcoal. I just bought a bag of natural lump charcoal at Wally World (first time I've ever seen it) and am having a DEVIL of a time getting good results with it. It's been hard to light and hard to regulate temperature with. It may be attributable to the higher radiant heat losses with a metal grill as compared to the EGG, but I did try a different brand of the natural lump charcoal about 4 years ago with wonderful results. However, this was on my oval Kingsford, which was much more controllable than the Weber. Do many of you cook with the EGG brand natural lump charcoal? It their brand better than others? And finally, how does cooking over the natural lump charcoal differ from briquettes?[p]I know I've thrown alot out here for consideration, but I really need the input. I'm DEFINITELY going to make the switch to the EGG, but need some direction from you old pro's on size in general, and the issue of size as it relates to cooking methods. The help on the charcoal vs. briquettes is also much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replys. BIG BAD JOHN

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    BIG BAD JOHN,[p]When we cook indirect on the Egg, we typically use some sort of barrier between the fire and the food. Putting the coals at the edge and the meat in the center isn't really indirect cooking, it just means the heat is coming from the side and from further away. You can buy a plate setter which is a ceramic thing that will sit on the fire ring and hold a drip pan, providing a barrier between heat and food. Alternatively, some people just use a drip pan or they use a pizza stone, sitting on a grid with a raised grid above that. [p]As for charcoal, no one here uses lighter fluid. If you bought the Real Flavor brand from Wal*Mart, it is the same as BGE lump. If you bought the Chef Wagon, it is different. In either case, we start the lump usually in the egg with starter cubes, propane or MAPP torches, or something like that. It is easy to light, far easier than Kingsford, and is what everyone here uses for the most part. You will find lump burns hotter and cleaner than Briquettes with far less ash. You control the heat in the egg with the air vent and you can cook from 180 degrees to 1000 degrees. [p]For info on lump charcoal, I'd recommend my Lump Charcoal FAQ at the Lump Charcoal Database:[p]The Lump Charcoal Database[p]for a start. It also contains reviews of many many types of lump charcoal. Also, if you check out the "other non brand related testing" section, there is a report on a comparison between several types of lump and Kingsford.[p]I also have a general ceramic FAQ:[p]Ceramic FAQ[p]That ought to keep you busy for the next hour or so! LOL! The FAQ shows the plate setter that I mentioned above and it also shows a raised grid.[p]Good luck, and we'll get all your questions answered.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    One thing that will change - you can toss the lighter fluid. None is nescessary with an egg. The natural draft or chimney effect acheived from the shape of the egg makes fire starting a snap.[p]So far as size goes ... I for one think the XL may be too big for many people to use on a regualr basis. My approach would be to buy a large (which I hav) and add another size later. This allows me the flexibility to cook at two temps at once. JMHO[p]Finally - I think pretty much every one here uses lump charcoal. It burns hotter, have less ash and is generally more efficient.
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    BIG BAD JOHN,
    I also was concerned about going the the 18inch grill from a 22inch Weber. It is really no problem at all because ALL the grill surface is usable. It basically heats very evenly from the center to the far edge. I used natural lump in the Weber without a problem. I would recomend you getting a chimney starter for it though. I also used the side baskets for indirect heat. I have had my egg since Feb. and could not imagine using anything else. I kept my Weber around until this weekend when I gave it away.[p]Steve-B

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    BIG BAD JOHN,[p]Welcome![p]If you are stacking the meat around the grid to avoid being over the coals then you aren't really using all of the 22" grilling surface. Is that correct? If this is the case, a large would be a very good choice. Some folks here on the forum have put more meat on the large than you could ever imagine. I have done 4 6 lbs. chickens at once on my large with no problem.[p]Have fun.[p]Mick

• BIG BAD JOHN
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I went to my local dearler's last night to actually see one of the new L size BGE's and was impressed. They have one setup outside under a gazebo and cook on it occaisonally for folks to try the food...now if I can just find out when! HAH![p]My dealer is checking on a hard delivery time for the new XL EGG. If it's really going to be later summer, early autumn, then I'm going to get the large...just can't wait. I'm finishing up plans for my own table and I may include enough length for a second L EGG to handle overflow cooking.[p]I did learn that the techniques I use on my Weber metal grill will be pretty much useless, but that's OK since I can use more of the grill area on the egg. Doing a little math, I will have effectively the same amount of usable grill space as I do on the Weber now, given the method I use on the Weber...but that 24" XL is tempting! Thanks to all; I'll keep you informed of my "Journey to the Land of EGG". Grilled BeerBrats on the Weber last night...still can't get that lump charcoal to work? BBJ
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    BIG BAD JOHN,[p]After I read this post I had to laugh. Because over the 4th of July I plan on going up to Wisconsin for the weekend to meet up with some friends at their cottage. They know I like to BBQ and I offered to cook for them at least once. Here comes the funny part. The only charcoal grill I have ever cooked on is an egg. I was told they have a charcoal weber. I went and bought briquettes to use and have started to sweat wondering if I can cook on their grill!! [p]I'm guessing there is a bit of a learning curve for everything. The egg took me a few times to get the hang of it. If it takes a char here and there I don't think anyone will mind.[p]I'll take a stab at a couple of your questions. The two big ones seem to be grill size and ease of use of lump charcoal. First, I don't think I can give a good opinion of which grill size is better because I have never cooked on a XL. I own a LG. I can say this, though. The only time I would want a bigger grid is when I have big parties. But even then with proper planning grid size just isn't an issue. I cooked 15-20 lbs of pork butt for pulled pork one time for a large party and we had left over. Memorial Day weekend I cooked 5 full slabs of ribs. It was a tight fit, but I could have fit another 2-3 racks to the mix. Take a look at the second picture at the link below. I could have fit one more rack on the left side and another 1 or 2 on top. You can do that with a ceramic cooker because when it heats up it cooks food all around it. Not just from below. And by the way, those 5 racks were for 5 people. We could only finish 3. I've cooked a 20+ lb turkey on my egg to a 15-20+ lb ham, too. So if I invested in a XL I'm not sure that I would be using it that often. I have been planning to buy a medium for some time now. I think I will end up cooking on that one most often because if I am cooking 5-7 chicken breasts or pork chops I don't like using up that much fuel if I don't have to.[p]As for lump charcoal I think its great. I use a MAPP torch to light it. And it gets the lump roaring in about 10-15 minutes. If you don't have MAPP you can pick up some fire starter cubes at Wally World or some other BBQ store. You should never use lighter fluid.[p]Good luck with your decision. I'm sure whatever you decide you will be very pleased with it.[p]John
    [ul][li]Look at Rib Pic #2[/ul]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]