Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeyes on the egg.

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked Ribeye's the very first day I got my egg and over cooked them, so want to make sure that does not happen again.

I have some nice 1"- 1.25" ribeyes that I will cook tonight. I will use the cast grate and sear them.

Can anyone give me a close temp and time that gets a steak to medium and well. My wife will not eat a steak that is not well, I know she is crazy but seems I always overcook mine, even waiting to put it on after hers is on.

My instant thermometer quick working, no place to get one locally. I do have one that is slower but hoping to get some temps and times to get them close first.

Thanks
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Most people use the "T-Rex" method, or the "inverse T-Rex." That is, sear and dwell, or dwell and sear. To get a rare to medium steak, the general rule is to sear for 30 seconds per half inch per side. In your case about a minute to minute and a half per side, with the steaks on the lower grill position, and the dome a max (800.) Then, remove the steaks, shut the Egg down, and wait till the dome drops back to 400. Return the steaks and cook for...(time varies for desired product) maybe 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Your slower thermometer will probably work to let you know the internal temp, although I'd be a little worried it might melt unless it was right above the meat, in its heat shadow. Alternatively, make a small cut, and see how not red it is getting.

At any level, let rest for at least 10 minutes under foil.

(Except for steak, my wife worries any time she sees even pink meat :silly: )
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i would keep cutting into hers til it was done to my liking,remove mine, then keep killing hers :laugh: i find a 1 inch steak a little more difficult to cook than thicker ones, its much easier to cook a 1.5 inch steak to med/rare or med
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it