Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some help with Pagers

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in Off Topic
We currently use a SkyTel one-way pager and have had terrible results lately. I call the pager number and left a message 3 times one evening. The pager never went off. Finally, 12 hours later, it went off for the 1st message, and another hour later, it went off twice for the 2nd and 3rd messages. I can't believe any business owner would bet his business on this kind of service.

Our second complaint is that coverage is limited to populous areas, but you don't have to go far to be out of the service area.

Are their pager services that a) are reliable, and possibly even b) have better service coverage?

Thanks!
Doug
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When cell phones became widely acceptable in our area, Melbourne Fl,2002 apprx. The pager companies in the area went away. Sure they are available, but with a cell phone we don't need any more for our real estate business. We just changed the signs and brochures to show the cell number rather than the pager #. Will this work for your situation?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    We are on call 24x7 and we prefer to get a page so that we have time to check into a few things before we actually have to talk to someone. We don't want the world calling the cell phone number, because it will get abused and people who shouldn't call it probably will. So, we have the pager, and we also forward the pager to a cell phone. When the pager doesn't go off, at least the phone does and we get a message with the phone number in it. And of course, no one knows the cell phone number. But we'd just like to carry one pager that works.

We were also thinking of using just the cell phone and letting calls go to phone mail, but I've had lots of cases where I have had (on my personal phone AT&T) missed calls and not been notified for hours, even a day.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    TNW,

We use pagers in our busines and we are with Bell Mobility which is no help to you. In both the Canadian and US companies we use and answering service and the protocol is in place to:

Page twice if no one calls in after five minutes. Page again. If no response call cell and page back up. and so on. It is a lot of pain but our customers always get a response.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ASTegaCay
    ASTegaCay Posts: 97
    Options
    TNW,

Maybe you should check into an Answering Service as a contact, then they place a call to the person on call, if that person does not answer, they go to the back up person. They take down all the info and the problem and let the person on call know what the problem is.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't suppose your phone number has an Avaya Modular Messaging voice mailbox, does it? If so, there's a voice mail feature called Notify Me that will send a txt to your cell whenever someone leaves you a voice message.

As for pagers, I have a USAMobility pager which seems to work ok. But I ignore them anyway - never anything but trouble!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i am with richard fla .. when cell phones came into the picture the pager suppliers disapeared,, i use my cell and i do not answer it unless i recognize the number,, you would be surprised how many people won't leave a message, i find it self policing.. my cell phone number is on the office answering machine for the whole world to find,, and i get less calls now that all the patients know they can find me if they really need me.. it reduces the panic factor.. actually my problem now is they don't call me when the should [need to include the grumpy old fart factor here] over the last 30 years i have had the answering service, the home answering machine [call home and check every hour] the pager and now the cell .. the cell phone is, for me, the best.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    IF you have a cell phone on one hip and a pager on the other, maybe change the pager to cell phone, something cheap and easy, and small, there is also some companies that will handle just voicemail and sent a text for every call. For a extra cell phone for about $10 a month, like maybe a TracFone, all you need for it to do it log phone numbers and calls