Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My question is about lighting the Egg. I use Royal Oak natural charcoal and the fire starters (wax & Sawdust balls). I put the fire starter in the center with the charcoal built up around it. After the ball is burning a few minutes, I cover it with additional charcoal, which causes a lot of smoke. I shut the lid with the bottom vent open and the top open. Is this how I should be lighting the Egg? Any tips you can give me? Thanks. / Ron

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Ron,
    If it is getting the coal lit, then yes, that it is how you should be doing it.[p]Other options incude the green stuff, MAPP, chimney starter, or the electric rod thingee. Each has it's own benefits.[p]I have tried many and use whatever I find first (without having to go to the store for the fourth time).[p]Have a nice weekend
    Matt.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Last night I got a very fast cooking temp. What I did was stir the coals, making sure the center was completely clear down to the grate. Then I left the old, partially burned lump on the outside and added the fresh in the center I'd just cleared. I made sure the fresh was loosely stacked, with plenty of "air space" around each piece, up to the height of the older lump on the outside.[p]Actual lighting technique - a dollop (about 2 TBP) of Green Heat on the very center. I then used my MAPP to light about 3 spots around the fresh lump stack. In 10 minutes (I timed it) my temp was 400 or slightly over. I think that's about the fastest I've ever got to that temp, but I could be mistaken.
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Oops - forgot to mention, I never leave the lid open. I just light it, shut it and forget it. BTW - I leave the raincap/daisy off and have the bottom vent wide open when starting.
  • Unknown
    Options
    One variation I use if my intent is to nuke steaks for instance is I place a Weber starter cube through the bottom vent, light it and push it to the center under the grate. With the vent open, the dome closed and uncapped that creates an updraft that lights my fire through the center and results in an intense fire. It works quite well for me. Don't use this method for lo & slo however. ^oo^~

• Unknown
    Options
    Ron,[p]I use BGE starter bricks, but I believe Weber has the same thing. Here is my method:[p]Push old charcoal to the sides and in the center that has been cleaned away, build up a small pyramid base with medium to larger pieces of charcoal stacked on top of each other. Sit one starter cube on its edge on the grate in the center of the pyramid base you built. They key to the pyramid base is to make sure that there is air flow space between your lumps of charcoal that you have layered. Light the cube on each edge that is perpendicular to the BGE grate. I use long stemmed wood matches. Usually one match is plenty, and then I drop the match in the center of my pyramid. Then using smaller pieces of charcoal cover the open top of the pyramid. You only need one to three pieces of medium to small lumps of charcoal here. Again, the key is to keep plenty of airflow. Close the BGE lid but leave lower vent open and cap off. Check fire in about 5 minutes. The new coal should be red hot. Add enough lump to use for your cook. In another 5 minutes or so you should be close to 500 - 600 temp. Obviously less time for lower temps and a little more for searing temps. THe whole process rarely takes more than 15 mins total from the time I take the vinyl cover of my BGE until I am throwing the steaks on the grid.[p]OK OK....so some would say I am a little.....obsessive about the starting technique.....but it works and I like doing it.....lol[p]Cheers!
    E1

• Jim Benenson
    Options
    Ron, I gave up fluids, fire starters, fatwood, etc. when I discovered MAPP. I just put the torch flame to the coals then forget about it for fiftenn minutes or so. I come back to a hot grill.[p]I learned about MAPP in this forum. Thanks to those who turned me on to this safe, quick method.[p]