Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A BURGER ON THE SMALL & TOO MUCH LUMP

Options
2»

Comments

• just saying many catholics don't know why. and that the spirit of it isn't simply "meat", but that since it is penitential in spirit. to go about buying lobster instead is to apply the letter of the "law" and to ignore the spirit of it.

it's one thing to follow a law because you are told to. it's another to understand where it comes from, what it means for your church, and to observe it out of respect for those things. otherwise you need google to explain it to you, and why you have been doing something for a lifetime.

just sayin....

the reason it says "or other food" by the way, is simply because some catholic populations don't eat much meat anyway, and to prohibit that wouldn't be much penance after all. it's the exception which proves my point.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Mark, what an awesome statement/quote. "I will take my chances with Hell". LOL, thats great. :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I'm reminded of the old joke.......

What meat does a Catholic Priest eat on Friday? "Nun"
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Smokin Okie wrote:
    Love the OU pic.
    You mean there are TWO of you in this town? Congrats on the BGE.

GO POKES!!!!!
  • is there a place i can send you a gift of some sort for taking the attention off my post and putting it on yours?
    hahahaha
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mark,

Can Protestants go to hell for a transgressing a Catholic rule? Seems a bit unfair :laugh:

STeve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Stike, I attended Catholic schools for what seemed to be around 35 years. I was taught that the reason one should give up the (expensive) meat dishes is so the money saved could go to the poor, via the Church.
    As an aside, don't let anyone ever tell you that an eighth-grader can't get fall-down drunk when said eighth-grader and friends find the storage area for the sacramental wine. Sister Elaine was not amused.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Sorry, wasnt my intent, just a bad habit.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I get it...a bad Habit :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• no problem, man.

i was just getting ready to ask where the canonical law defined "meat", since fish is meat, after all.
  • ASTegaCay
    Options
    RB,

I have a couple butts in one freezer ready to thaw. I also have a couple of Birds. I have a large stand up Freezer, Plus two Fridges and Freezers. I am getting a XL and have already bought the platesetter, and a few items from the CG Store. I have been wanting an egg for about 5 years and finally convinced my wife. I am getting a Demo unit from the FL Eggfest.

These 2 weeks are going to seem like an eternity. Everytime I crank up the Webber(3-4 times a week), it makes the wait seem longer.
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Thats great Aaron. Sorry I won't be at the FL Fest to meet you. You will have a great time. Just remember to stay clear of Poolman and Hungryman, those two are trouble makers. B)
  • hahahaha
    drinking sacramental wine....

:laugh:
    great story
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    That was great! :laugh:
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Staci, I don't remember giving you permission to show photos of me! :laugh: Don't you just love my tatoo?
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    You are confusing fasting and abstinence. Both are part of traditional Catholic teaching and both are a part of Lent.

Traditionally Catholics abstain from eating meat on all Fridays throughout the year but the 1983 code of canon law allows for substituting another penance on Fridays outside of Lent. We still are expected to abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent. Fasting is eating less than 3 full meals. Usually it's 1 full meal and 2 snacks that are not to equal a full meal on total.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    WW, wouldn't that be Dwell in Hell Lobster? :woohoo:
  • i wasn't really arguing fasting vs. not eating meat. i was saying that the idea of abstaining from "meat" (which everyone takes to be beef though meat includes fish, chicken, etc.) is generally taken at face value by many catholics (i was raised catholic).

whenever friday rolls along (lent or otherwise) there are many who make the proclamation that one shouldn't be eating "meat". they assume that means beef, and so have lobster. they aren't doing any form of penance by simply not eating meat. it's an empty gesture.

it all goes back to penance, and being abstemious. it flies in the face of the spirit of the canonical law to avoid "meat" and yet eat lobster or some other luxury.
    especially when a person has no idea why they can;t eat meat in the first place...

if you look at the history of the prohibition of eating meat, you can see that it is less about "meat" (especially beef, which seems to be the only meat people think it addresses) and it is more about a penitential effort.

anyway, i am not arguing the specifics of the law. i'm going to lose that debate. but i'm not entering that debate. i'm saying very few of its adherents have any idea what it means, when to follow it, and what the intent is. which means it's often habit and tradition that assure it being followed, rather than (perhaps) any true demonstration of one's faith. though it can be argued that to do as one is told without asking why is itself an act of faith. and i don't mean that in a denigrating fashion.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    HAHAHAHA!!! :woohoo: Brilliant! ;) Yes, indeed. It has a new name. It is now officially known as "Dwell in Hell Lobster!" :evil: :lol:
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    You, my dear, are just plain sassy.....but after viewing that pic? Mostly assy.

You're post cracked me up!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: