Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini?

Options
Isolated01
Isolated01 Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I`m thinking very seriously about getting a Mini Egg. I currently have a Large but cook mostly for myself and end up using my gas grill for burgers etc.... I am confused on weather a NEW Mini exists or not, I have read about both a 9 inch grid as advertised on their website and a 10 inch grid. Any help would be eggpreciated.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I want to say the hinge and grid have changed but don't quote me on that. You could call around and see who has the new style mini. Tim
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I would call the Mother ship and ask them about any changes. I have heard that they are going to start making a spring assist hinge like the larger Eggs.
    I have a Mini (Piglet) and we just love her she is one mean little grilling machine. Most of the time I'm cooking burgers, dogs, steaks, chicken 1/4s,chops and have the Mini Kim Woo ring http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=236
    and two pizza stone for little pizzas.
    I also have a LG and Medium.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If they come out with a spring hinge for the mini I'll be first in line for it. -RP
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I will be right there with ya, that is the only thing I don't like about Piglet.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I thought about removing the BGE bands/hinge and just have a band made for the base with 3 riser pins to hold the dome in place and just remove the whole dome instead of just open and close. Or a larger band for the dome to slide onto the base. Would be great to have the open cooking space like a hibachi. Would also have to rig a handle for the dome.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    I really want one too, but hubby says we don't need one! What the heck does he know?!!!!

I'm thinking about buying one for myself to celebrate my upcoming birthday! And what you want to bet, he will be the first one trying to use it!
  • crimtide
    Options
    Isolated01 wrote:
    I`m thinking very seriously about getting a Mini Egg. I currently have a Large but cook mostly for myself and end up using my gas grill for burgers etc.... I am confused on weather a NEW Mini exists or not, I have read about both a 9 inch grid as advertised on their website and a 10 inch grid. Any help would be eggpreciated.

I hope I don't get banned for saying this but I would buy a Weber Kettle grill for this type grilling. I have cooked on a Weber for 15 years and only had a BGE for 6 months. I will never be without a BGE again but I will never be without a Weber either. If your cooking burgers and raising the lid alot, get a Weber. The BGE is a cooking machine but I think its for longer cooks in my short time owning one. JMHO
  • Isolated01
    Options
    That is the reason I was considering the Mini. I am talking about cooking A single burger. I have a Weber Smokey Joe as well as the Weber Performer, but was looking for something quick and fast for one meal.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Then the mini is what you need. You will love it!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Yep ya need a Mini.
    Jupiter Jim

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• cookn biker
    Options
    I didn't relize we got the same set JJ. I'm kickin around a small.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Isolated01
    Options
    I will order one in the Morning. My local dealer does not have any in stock, He said he has not sold a Mini in about 4 years. I guess they like em BIGGER in N`Awlins.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Awesome!! Take pics. How long till it'll come in? Any idea? You're gonna love it!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    The small is on my hit list as well.
    JJ

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    My dealer had to order mine too. Never sells them but also he had no idea what they could do. He thought they were a novelty item.