Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any ideas for valdalia onions??

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have ideas for preparing Valdalia Onions?? Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Tom, I used to cut them in half, sprinkle lots of black pepper and coat with honey. Wrap with aluminum foil, cut some holes near the top, and place into a grill safe pan (to catch any drippings) and smoke at 350° for approx an hour.

• BGE Pit Crew
    BGE Pit Crew Posts: 149
    Options
    Tom, I cut top amd bottom flat, remove outer peel, place in foil, cut down into onion about have way in a cross pattern, salt and pepper, and place about half stick of butter on top, cover tight, egg for appx. 1 hour at 300, open foil (be carefull) and egg another 1/2 hour or so until nicely carmalized(?spelling). Enjoy!

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Tom, Do the pie. Thread below. Cut back a little on egg and onion as it doesn't all fit into deep crust. Use non stick sauce pan and you can save on labor by popping whole hunk of cheeze into pot once onions soft. Also if you have food processor now is the time to use it to cut onions. Wife finally on board egg wagon after this recipe.

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Onion_Pie_2004.jpg
    <p />Charbon, Again with the photo. Sorry [p]

007 Posts: 10
    Options
    Charbon, Add a cube of beef bouillon to the suggestions and stand back. You're gonna need more onions, trust me.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Or try adding several drops of balsamic vinegar.[p]