Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying a new recipe - spatchcock style

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it has been a few days since I fired up the greeny. This morning I picked up a 3.5# whole chicken. I cut the back bone out and spread flat, rubbed it well with olive oil, course diced an onion and placed all in a ziplock. I then added a hefty, very hefty, sprinkling of Tsunami Spin (www.dizzypig.com (thanks Chris))[p]Now come the patient waiting... waiting for the time to light the grill and bring her to temp and then finally cook the chicken. I've always had excellent results with the spatchcock style, this one is just a new seasoning idea that came to me as I opened the spice cabinet.[p]I'm shooting for 340 to an internal of 160 with a fresh lump & a light smoke of 5 hickory nuts that have been drying since October 2003.[p]Plan on serving with Udon noodles, steamed broccoli and applesauce. Mindy will probably make a fresh loaf of homemade whole wheat bread too. She is contemplating a fruit salad instead of the applesauce though.[p]I'll know more on the results L8R[p]Banker John

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Banker John,
    whether beer butt or spatchcocked, tsunami spin IS the way to go!!. .. .you should do two of them, and with the leftovers, make up some chicken salad (add a good shake of more tsunami spin). .. it will be the best chicken salad you ever ate, guaranteed. . .

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Aaahhh, the results were fitting and pleasurable. The chicken was right on queue for a 1 hour 15 minute cook.[p]The skin was crisp, meat very very moist, flavorful throughout![p]Banker John