Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

That satisfying "no flashback" sound

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked myself a really nice steak tonight - a 1.5" NY Strip from a butcher. This (and a bottle of good red wine) was my birthday present to myself. :) I kept it really simple - just olive oil, black pepper, salt and garlic powder while the potato was baking (and slightly rubbed with the same oil and seasonings) in the oven. I was tempted to use Cowlick, but I wanted a less spicey steak. And for a cut this good, I don't like much seasoning. I lit the Egg long before I was going to cook since there were forecasts of thunderstorms. I didn't want to have to start it while it was pouring. So I had it going with the bottom vent daisy wheel open all the way. I sat outside on the deck, drank a beer or two, read and constantly threw a tennis ball down the slope in my backyard (those of you who have met my dog will understand why :).[p]When the potato was just about ready, I took off the daisy, and let the temp rise. I put the steak on at around 700, for about two minutes/side. [p]Then I put the rain cap on and shut the bottom vent. I let the steak dwell for maybe five minutes. When I went to take the steak out, the dome temp was around 700. I took the rain cap off, and opened the bottom vent. When I opened the vent, I heard a low, almost humming sound for a couple of seconds. This is pretty much the same kind of sound you hear during a flashback. I opened the dome after a few seconds and a wisp of smoke came up, but no massive heat. It's real;y nice to hear that flashback (or maybe "no flashback") sound and still have eyebrows. :) And that's not the first time I've heard my Egg sing.

Comments