Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock chicken; what temp; direct or indirect?

Options
Illinifan
Illinifan Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are only 2 months into Egg using, and could find nothing
about our questions. Any recipe would really be appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    nwrecipelogo.gif
    <p />Illinifan,
    Check out my recipes page and click on chicken.....
    TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz Recipe Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    bbchicken.jpg
    <p />Illinifan,
    I've never the spatchcock chicken. Guess I should try. I like the beer butt chicken. Coat bird with olive oil and a good rub. Place bird accordingly and cook at 300-350.[p]CWM

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    SpatchcockBeauty.jpg
    <p />Illinifan,
    Many ways to go. We did this one this past weekend for snacks at the contest. Just put it on at about 300-325 direct, elevated up in the dome and it took an hour and 20 or so. Did not flip it this time because the dome heat was browning it all nice.
    Happy cookin
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Illinifan
    Options
    The Naked Whiz, We like your idea of raised grid. Looks
    like the top grid is setting on brick. Do we need fire
    brick or will regular masonry bricks work. Please let
    us know. THANKS!!!

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Illinifan,[p]raisedgrid.jpg[p]I now use a raised grid that I made with stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts. I have photos in my ceramic FAQ. I wouldn't use regular bricks unless you hear from someone with experience that says otherwise. All I can remember reading about is people using fire brick, so there must be a reason, right? Here's a link to the FAQ and the raised grid photos:[p]TNW
    [ul][li]The Naked Whiz's FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Illinifan,
    I just cooked my first spatchcock chicken tonight. I made a paste of olive oil and Willingham's Original Rub and carefully rubbed it under the skin. Cooked at 350 for 1 hr. Turned over skin side down for last 15 minutes to crisp skin. It was the best non-fried chicken I have ever eaten, even the wife talked about how jucey it was. And the flavor premeated the meat more than ever before from putting the rub under the skin.[p]Roy

• Illinifan
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,Since we are doing the bird tomorrow eve,
    I'll get the fire brick. Thanks to you and Nature Boys photo. Looks like raised direct is the only way to go.[p]