Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum. You can also find a lot of information, cooking tips and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Granite Top for Egg Nest

WoodyWoody Posts: 60
edited 4:07AM in EGG Table Forum
I am nearing completion of the base of my new egg nest. Some final assembly and staining and I will be ready to add a top. I like what I see as far as granite tops are concerned.
Living in southeast Michigan we get our fair share of snow and I do not always get around to putting a cover back on.
Are there any special considerations when adding a granite top?
How do you secure it?
Do you need to use a exterior mortar to butter the bottom to keep moisture from getting in through the bottom or anything else?
Am I worrying too much?
Woody
Large BGE in Northville, MI

Comments

• jonboyjonboy Posts: 163
    I used 100 percent silicone, mold resistant one,to install one. Just a few dabs will do it. I leave it uncovered all year round. A cover would be great but i haven't found one to fit my table.
    jon
  • IMG_0500.jpg

Here's mine. Used dabs of silicone. I'm in Oklahoma and leave it uncovered because it looks so good. Do you think I need the three feet on the granite base?
  • WoodyWoody Posts: 60
    Based on what I read on the Naked Whiz site, it would be a good idea to add the feet. .
    Nice looking table. I agree the granite looks good. I was thinking of just doing a tile top til I saw fine examples like yours.
    Woody
    Large BGE in Northville, MI
  • My son and I put the feet underneath it this weekend so it should be good to go.
  • Woody,

Try and get Canadian granite. It's already acclimatized. :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LambchopsLambchops Posts: 166
    Autumn09_126.jpg

My granite guy said to just run a bead of caulk around the outside after the top is installed to hold in place.