Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for those who saw the XL Egg in person

Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
From the photos, it looks like the XL egg is a little less egg shaped than the other sizes. It looks kind of like a pregnant clam - maybe one that's a little queasy (green, get it). Aesthetics aside, do we think the difference in shape will affect the performance, more specifically the nice convection cooker affect we get with our conventional BGE's? Just something that has occurred to me....[p]Thanks - have a great weekend![p]Cornbread

Comments

• Cornbread Willy,
    the xl that was at waldorf was a prototype. . .to all who saw it, it looked a little 'shallow'... it is my understanding that the production version will be a little deeper (and therefore about 30 lbs heavier). . .i'm sure dr bbq or qbabe (who cooked on it at nature boy's house) could say more about its cooking characteristics. . .it sure does have a lot of grill surface though!!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Cooking will be about the same. Possibly better, if that's possible. Since the top is slightly flatter and has more surface area, it will reflect heat back more evenly. My only concern on the one we had was the distance of the food to the coals. It was too close IMHO. That's the main reason the bottom is being deepened, I think.[p]Jim
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Cornbread Willy,[p]Like Max said, that was the first prototype and the next one is deeper. I've seen it but I haven't cooked on it. I don't think it will ever be proportionatly as deep as the large but I do think that by keeping it round it will still have that convection that we are used to.[p]I have cooked on the first one with and without the platesetter and have found it to cook very well. I happen to think that the small, medium and large all have their own characteristics and I would expect that this one will too. [p]
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Cornbread Willy,[p]I cooked on that XL all weekend at Nature Boy's Drbbq class and feel its performance is top notch and quality is stellar, much like all the eggs before it. Like each of the others, it has it's own personality, but I think that's a learning curve that goes with any egg size difference.[p]I think the hardest thing for folks to get used to with it will be handling all the food that you can get on it! Flipping 53 sausages was QUITE a challenge (but FUN, since you end up leaving the dome open longer and increase the potential for flare-ups with all that oxygen drafting in...![p]sausages-on-the-xl.jpg[p]sausages-on-the-xl-2.jpg[p]Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe
    QBabe,[p]Try, try again...[p]sausages-on-the-xl.jpg[p]sausages-on-the-xl-2.jpg[p]Tonia

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Tonia,[p]do you ever shut the bottom vent when you flip? I always do, and it almost always eliminates flare ups of any kind. Just remeber to open it after you close her back up and before you reach for that Bud. DOH!!!!!!![p]Mick
  • QBabe
    Hi Mick,[p]I've never really had too much problem with my small, medium and large, but seldom cram the max number of items on the grid like we did with those sausages, so not only did I have more food mass than I usually deal with, it was a HUGE 24" grid to boot...[p]That's a pretty good idea, closing the lower vent...makes good sense to me and most certainly would have helped. 'Course it probably didn't help that I was also trying to get a couple of pics and that might have contributed to how long the dome was open as well...maybe?![p]Cheers,
    Tonia