Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calibration 101

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    He likes me! He really likes me!!

sally-field-oscar.jpg
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    That's why he bought the reference thermometer a Wallyworld. 50* is close enough
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    fork em if he can't take a joke :woohoo:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    WessB wrote:
    cause your personality comes across...just screamin ****..quit tryin to turn bbq into a scientific experiment or argument...we are cookin pig...as I already said..if you want to argue with engineers go find their forum..let us continue cookin at 219.8375° or dare I say 283.98356° who gives a sh!t...dome therm says 235° thats good enough for me.....when its done it's done..please stop drawing every post you either start or reply to into a week long friggin soap opera..remember food safety........this will be my last reply to any of your posts...I may be an ****...but you my friend are an ass...

LMAO!! :woohoo: I just spit Miller Lite all over my damn MacBook!!
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Now how the hell is it that I can get BLASTED for using an "inappropriate" "r" word on the forum, or for having a signature that says we are all being screwed by democraps, yet we can call each other "thimble d!cked" and "asses" and "****" and no one bats an eye?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it, lol......it keeps it interesting.......

But, I'm just saying........ :P
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Damn you Wess, that time the beer went up my nose!!
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Oh, I couldn't agree more, it was the very soul of wit. At first reading, I thought it was cribbed from Swift (Jonathan, not Taylor), so eloquent was the prose. Congratulations on your gimlet-eyed recognition of such a rapier-like dissection of the calibrationist miscreant. And, really, who among us here isn't roused to righteous indignation at the very thought of accurate temperature indication on our Eggs, a menace that cannot be dealt with too harshly?

That said, perhaps it's dangerous to bring this up here, even unmanly, but why did we buy expensive cookers that can hold temperatures to within a few degrees for hours if it doesn't matter what those degrees are?
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    They don't make a shoot big enough for me. :blush:
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    I wonder what they used 100 years ago, I am sure they did not starve with out one. :whistle:
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    So, if I understand your post, you've removed the dome thermometer from your Egg. Am I correct?
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Now did my post say that no. What it means is you can get by with out one. So please don't think your going to get me into some kind of argument here. Thats IMHO my post.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I agree, one can get by without it. Would you agree that having one is preferable to not having one?
  • Eggweiser
    Options
    Hey Village Idiot Maybe you are sick. I think you should take your temperature with 2 different thermometers and then draw a bar graph and let us know the results.
    If you have a temperature just twist a nut till you are calibrated. :laugh:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    thanks for posting that. i never really considered the other 2 types of deviation,, [and i thought i was well versed in all things devient]
    i read it i learned something
    thanks
    bill
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    i'm not sure that i, personally, am expecting, or even need, this level of accuracy. if i did, i wouldn't be using a bimetallic thermometer perhaps, from any manufacturer.

I've been thinking about this and, really, once you've adjusted the curve of the thermometer to its optimal position, you're stuck with whatever leftover inherent errors are left in it. The trick is to understand what your meter is telling you, then either adjusting it to minimize the error in the range you cook in most, or just tossing it altogether and getting, uh...a new one (not going there again).

It's about improving the instrument's accuracy, sure, but it's even more about avoiding large errors in the "sweet spot" where you cook to avoid nasty surprises like LME got.

The doesn't need to be difficult, and I guess I deserve some of the brickbats swung at me over the methodology I posted. With the simple digital reference thermometer I mentioned, this can be done during any cook where the dome temp is stabilized long enough to let both units settle out.

I think bimetal units, properly adjusted, are fine. I'd wager they're within 10* or less over the useful range.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Enough Already. Damn.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Ron, no one is forcing you to read or post in this thread. If you don't like it, please avoid it. It interests me, it's on-topic. I don't care for a lot of the threads here, but I don't insist that others cease their discussions.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I was no honor student but I didn't ride the short bus either, is this really a 101 course? You must be way above me. :whistle:
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Yeah, it's pretty simple, but I may not have been as clear as I might have been. Question: Do you know what a linear equation is? That's what I'm talking about here, with a few unimportant details.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    BTW, thanks, Bill. If I can clarify anything, just email me.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Shucks, your just tying to impress me huh? School for me was so long ago I don't remember most of my teachers. Either way I don't believe I need all that math to cook a good rack of ribs.

Thanks anyway? :ermm:
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Nah, you don't. I work around engineers all day, and it's easy to forget that a lot of folks don't remember all that.

It's, at the root, just a matter of checking your dial thermometer against one you're sure is correct to see if your dial unit is reading right.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Jeffersonian,
    No matter what anyone says, thank you for posting about these BGE trermometers. How many times have we heard "My thermometer reads 100 degrees and it is only 70 outside"? If any of them read your post they will know why and for those that don't, they can bask in their own light.
    Regards and thanks again,
    Rich
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    WessB wrote:
    cause your personality comes across...just screamin ****..quit tryin to turn bbq into a scientific experiment or argument...we are cookin pig...as I already said..if you want to argue with engineers go find their forum..let us continue cookin at 219.8375° or dare I say 283.98356° who gives a sh!t...dome therm says 235° thats good enough for me.....when its done it's done..please stop drawing every post you either start or reply to into a week long friggin soap opera..remember food safety........this will be my last reply to any of your posts...I may be an ****...but you my friend are an ass...

Wess, I don't think these types of personal remarks are excusable. I don't know of any forum where personal attacks are appropriate. This stuff really brings down the quality of the entire community. I don't care what your post count is, comments like this should ban the user.

Mark
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
  • grillmandan
    Options
    Be very careful with the flux capacitor. Requires a lighning strike that can blow the fire box apart and that is not covered by warranty!