Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter - degrease

Options
BeerMike
BeerMike Posts: 317
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some ideas about how to degrease my plate setter. It is unbelievably filthy.[p]high temp bake?
dishwasher?[p]What works for you?[p]
Beer Mike

I think it's time for another beer!
BGEing since 2003
2 Large BGEs 
Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
Living the dream in Wisconsin

Comments

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    BeerMike,
    I have done mine in the self cleaning oven, bad idea unless you want a ton of somke in your house. I have heard of a high temp cleaning in the egg, should work the same as your oven. Just a thought.[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]Definately High Temp Bake.[p] Dave[p]
  • glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    BeerMike,
    I do a hi-temp bake only problem is you need to bake it twice
    the side that is facing the coals is bleached white
    all must cool then fuel up again and another hi temp bake with the other side facing the coals then it will look like new again

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    BeerMike,[p]set up lava temp in your egg - you'll be amazed at the result. I've got a little battery powered fan that I place at the bottom vent to blow air into the egg. Guaranteed 800 degress+ in 30 minutes. [p]Be aware, however, that forcing this high a temp may fry your felt gasket and crack your firebox. If you do this, keep an eye on it! I forgot once, and there was literally smoke rolling off the outside surface of the egg, and when I opened it up the pizza stone was glowing and had fused to the porcelain covering my cooking grid![p]Chuck
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    chuckls,[p]P.S. to glenn's comment about baking twice - at the temp I reached, both sides were porcelain white with just one cycle![p]And a disclaimer - actually I don't recommend getting the egg this hot - it was an accident for me - no real reason to burn your felt and crack your firebox (and fire ring) when you can do it at a lower temp like Glenn says.[p]Chuck