Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Pitmasters - New Eggs

Options

Comments

• 22 words in that "non reply." :huh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I recorded this show and paused my DVR on one scene that caught my eye after reading your post. Got out my trusty digital camera and took a picture. Other then the the bright spot from the flash all I did was resize the photo.

leeann.jpg

Show of hands of those that believe these EGGS are BRAND NEW!!!

I can not judge from the picture whether or not lighter fluid was used in them or not, they are NOT brand new..

Care to amend your tale..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    The only thing pristine about those eggs was the platesetter in the XL. and I am not quite sure it was all that pristine. The eggs were well used.

See my reply to popedaddy..

New eggs are WHITE not BLACK..
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Wess, are you going to the OKC Fest? I'd sure like to meet you.
  • Purpose
    Options
    Wow, how this conversation has spiraled.

First, unfortunately I have deleted the show, but when I watched I thought the entire egg looked new. And I like to think I have a pretty decent viewing setup here in Brooklyn. :)

However, even if it was just the place setter that was new (or just three eggs in very good condition) my question remains the same - who is footing the bill for use and delivery of these egg parts. Her language on the show indicated that she didnt come out of pocket for them. This question wasnt an indictment of anyone. It was more focused on understanding whether BGE, the corporate entity, was affirmatively using the show as a way to market their products. I could care less about the stars of some television show. Given that we all have eggs, it would seem to me that we have a vested interest in the companies continued success and survival. I just thought it was an interesting question.

Next, with respect to popedaddy. I choose to take another man at his word until given a reason to do otherwise, so I therefore take you at your word. I understand why you might use this forum to vent your frustration. If what she said wasnt true, then that would be infuriating, irrespective of how many people know who actually delivered the eggs in question.

In the immortal words of Heath ledger - "Why so serious son"
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    LeeAnn said they were on loan. She did not say they were new. As for my word

leeann.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words. popedaddy is the one that said they were BRAND NEW. NEW Eggs are white not black and I just pointed out to you they were not pristine.

As for her getting eggs. For the right reasons they can be procured temporarily from anywhere. More then once I got loaners when I needed them for troop cooks. I suspect Lee Ann being on TV using them would get them right quick.

I am not venting, just stating facts..
  • Purpose
    Options
    I saw this picture when you posted it earlier.

I started this thread because I was sitting in my living room watching the show thought the eggs looked new. Your picture, while a valiant effort, doesnt prove anything to me. If I hadnt erased the show I would rewind and just confirm, but I thought at least one looked pretty clean (otherwise I wouldnt have posted). If it wasnt, so be it. But, as you yourself recognized earlier, the platesetter in the XL looked "pristine."

Again, my point was to understand who was footing the bill for these services, whatever the services may be (delivery and use of new eggs, with corresponding decrease in value as they are now used/ delivery and use of used eggs/ delivery and use of used eggs with use of new platesetter etc.) and why.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Demo eggs the price is already reduced. Any dealer who pushes them will use them to show them off. So they have demo eggs available. Why, people see them being used on TV and want to buy them. Those of us that compete with them can tell you they attract people and they want to know where they can buy them.

If you look at the picture I posted the insides are BLACK. The XL was the least used of them all, but it was used. New EGGS are WHITE.. Just look at the pictures of the EGG on the BGE Web Site for proof of that.

I said the platesetter appears to be pristine; however, as Wess pointed out getting a platesetter to look new is easy. Just burn off the gook. I have three white ones and three black one. I can't tell you which I got first, but I can tell you all of them have been under a lot of pork. The white ones just got burned clean.

One more reason why: BGE's outstanding customer service. I have had dealers come to my rescue when I needed it.. Once at a comp and a few times at a troop cook.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    I am gonna go back to the ORIGINAL post here, the one that started all of this......but also want to say something to popedaddy......I don't buy the story that the eggs are "brand new", or even that you delivered them to her......let alone assembled them.

Anyways, as far as where they are coming from, and who is paying/losing for this to happen.......that goes back to pure marketing/business 101. If I owned a Green Egg dealership, and the biggest BBQ show was coming anywhere within 100 miles of me and needed eggs.....you better believe I would be there.....delivering them, setting them up, and hell I would even light them for them, all with a HUGE smile on my face.

On top of that, I can bet you big money that BGE Mothership herself would have worked it out to make sure that Lee Ann had Eggs there to cook on. How can a person not realize the marketing exposure part of this? Also, as someone else has mentioned....they didn't ruin the Eggs by cooking on them for crying out loud......damn.....those Eggs ought to bring a premium....featured on BBQ Pitmasters, cooked on by Lee Anne, and PRE-SEASONED! ADD $250/EACH! :P :P :P
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    While I am sure a lot of people can cook ribs, there is a certain something a judge is looking for. Most of you guys here prefer falling off the bone ribs and that would score very low in KCBS judging.

Competition scoring and cooking are much different then your backyard and most competitors will tell you that.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Very well said Wess.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Time to stand Wess, LOL. Andy is as legit as the day is long. Actually, I think you'd both would have fun hanging at the bar rail together. I'll buy the first round.

I too watched the show and when the comment was made borrowed eggs, my first thought was the distributor. It's too bad, as all of Andy's work got slammed by one off comment.

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Egg Static
    Options
    Any premium charge for the lighter fluid taste? Although I'm guessing that would cook off.
  • tjv
    Options
    Sounds like you and Andy think alike, wanting the local distributor involved. And yes, Andy works for the distributor.

For me, it really comes down to one of two thoughts. 1. Will I remember this show because how the contestants placed or 2. because the truthfulness of an on air comment is questioned by someone off air. I'm hanging my hat with Andy.

t
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Hopefully a day will come where that can happen..you know I'm pretty easy goin...
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    And I'm with you. -RP
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Yea, I think the lighter fluid flavor will burn off. Heck, I've had lump charcoal that smelled like someone sprung a leak on it. That burned off.

The Egg is pretty much self-cleaning. Even so, it's a good idea to cook something hot once in a while and let it keep going after the food is done.

Spring "Self Cleaning Leak Fixer" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • tjv
    Options
    OK City fest

American Airlines
    Flight 1145 / 1878 8:55am
    Baltimore, MD (BWI) 1:10pm
    Oklahoma City, OK (OKC) 5hrs 15min - 1 Stop

Change planes in Dallas/Ft Worth, TX (DFW)
    Flight #1145 on-time: No data available $289
    per person
    Total $337
    Select
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    LOL...I thought you were offering to buy drinks..not airline tickets...... :laugh:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Glad to hear you and Sally will be joining us again in OKC, great news! -RP
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    That center Egg, to me, looked either brand new or very lightly used. I thought that even as I watched the show live. The other two, not so much.
  • tjv
    Options
    i'll meet you half way, drinks during the flight and on the ground. t
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Amen! I don't think my brand new Egg looked like that after one rib cook!
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I think there's something definitely to that. The flavor profile one aims for is very different when the person eating the product is taking a bite or two versus eating an entire meal of it.

I can't tell you how many things I've bought at, say, Sam's based on a free sample that wow'ed my tastebuds, only to be put off by it when I brought it home and tried to eat an entire meal of it. I suspect that a lot of the ribs submitted for judging give a delightful burst of flavor (many of the show contestants openly state that is their goal) at one bite, but would rapidly cloy the palates of anyone trying to eat half a slab of them.
  • Purpose
    Options
    Again, I have seen your picture. your photo doesnt do that screenshot justice. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003783NQ0/ref=atv_dp_season , at the 28 sec remaining mark.

Understand a few things:
    1) that is not the shot I saw that made me think the egg was new. I thought I saw a clean egg. Now it could have just been the plate setter, I wasnt forensically analyzing the video. But, if you watch the preview of the show on Amazon on demand you will see a much clearer copy of the scene that you took a picture of. The inside of the middle egg is far far from black. (My egg may have looked like that after the first use, maybe. No more than two). And, I am certain that there is a much better shot where you can actually see the inside of the egg somewhere on this show.

2) I, along with most of the other people on this board own an egg. Thus, there is no need for you to continue to state what an egg looks like after use. We know.

3) Enough people on this site had the same impression I did to make me want to see the episode again to verify. Your photo, while helpful, simply does not carry the day.
  • maybe that's from the flash on CW's camera :laugh:

(i agree with you. the center one looks like it could be new. and the gasket on the front one is still fuzzy, that gasket is brandsy-spankers. i think it's much ado about nuthin.... W.G.A.R.A.?)
  • DrugCoder
    Options
    I saw it last night too. When I saw the shot of her three eggs where it was kind of looking down on the three I immediately thought "Hey, she got a new XL." I didn't look close enough to determine if it was brand new or if it had been burned a time or two.

When she mentioned the part of how the previous owner used lighter fluid in it, I didn't believe that at all. Every dealer I have ever dealt with know a great deal about the egg and tell their customers to never use lighter fluid or use regular charcoal briquettes. If they care enough to tell their customers that I would be very surprised if they used fluid on their own demo eggs.

I still have it on the DVR so I might go check it out again tonight.
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    Now granted I have only been cooking on the Eggs for about 9 years now. Seven of that competing with Dizzy Pig.
    Can someone explain to me how a NEW egg burns hotter than a Used egg. As long as the debris is out of both wouldn't it be the same?
  • i just wasted thirty seconds of my life reading this....
    how many qualifiers can be attached to a post and still have it be relevant? "if I..." "I would bet..." "as someone else mentioned..."

yeesh

What business is it of anyone here whether she bought them, got them from BGE, or had them delivered buy a local dealer, whether they were new or not, or had been used with lighter fluid previously?

and just to add, there is no way in hell the fact they appeared on television, even with elvis cooking on them, makes them worth anything more than what they are.

other than that, i agree with you entirely.
    hahahaha
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    As long as the debris is out, I would agree with you. I did see BGE charcoal so that should have been a constant.