Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot tubbin' for the first time

Options
FrankC
FrankC Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's my first attempt at the hot tub method. I started out with a 21 day, dry aged NY strip that weighed in at 21 oz. Into the "tub" at 106 degrees for 70 minutes. Twice during the 70 minutes I added more hot water to keep the water temp above 100 degrees.

DSCF0289.jpg

Off the grill, and after a 20 minute rest. Also did some shrimp seasoned with Dizzy Pig raging river.

DSCF0290.jpg

And done!

DSCF0291.jpg

I turned out almost perfect. I still need to practice cooking the dry aged steaks. I keep letting them go just a bit too long, and end up with a steak closer to medium, instead of medium rare. Oh well, practice makes perfect!

fc :)

Comments

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Nice looking steak. Keep practicing... ;) Not every form of practice is as enjoyable :woohoo:

Doug
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    just a personal thing, but why wait 20 minutes for your steak to cool off? My taste buds like it hot and the sound sizzling! Also rather than to waste so much water I hot tub in a large plastic mixing bowl. I just mention that since in some parts of the country water is an expensive resource not to be wasted.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FrankC
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    just a personal thing, but why wait 20 minutes for your steak to cool off? My taste buds like it hot and the sound sizzling! Also rather than to waste so much water I hot tub in a large plastic mixing bowl. I just mention that since in some parts of the country water is an expensive resource not to be wasted.

When I let it rest, I foiled it, so I didn't really lose too much heat. Plus, it let me get to the shrimp! ;) You're probably right about the water, but after paying water bills when I lived in Tuscon, the cost of water in the midwest is minimal, relatively speaking :blush:

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    After the hot tubbing, what temp do you grill at?
  • FrankC
    Options
    I seared at 650 for 2 minutes a side, then moved it to a raised grid and roasted another 3 minutes a side while lowering the temp to about 500.

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    Frank C, I would recommend eliminating the roast part of cooking your steak using the hot tub method. The internal temp. is somewhere around 100 when you start your sear so it doesn’t need much help to get to 135/140. A 21 oz. strip sounds like it was about 1 ¾”to 2” thick so it is an excellent candidate for hot tubbing. Great looking cook and I bet the shrimp were great also.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.