Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Night's Italian and Big Chief Pizzas

Options
Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I had 4 chicken breast halves crying for attention. I seasoned two of them with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Ken Stone's Red Rooster, and the other two I seasoned with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and garlic, oregano, and dried thyme. I grilled the chicken direct and hot to grillmark, then wrapped them in foil and let rest in the shut-down Egg for about 15 min longer.[p]In a large skillet, I caramelized several sliced onions. Put them aside, wiped out the pan, and sauteed some sliced poblano pepper and set it aside. In the same skillet I then sauteed a couple of cloves of garlic in some olive oil, added a large can of pureed tomatoes, some fresh chopped basil, and some pepper. Let that simmer on the stove until t was thickened.[p]Earlier that morning, I had made pizza dough: 3 C flour, 1 C water, 1 pkg yeast, 1 tsp sugar, 2 tsp salt, and a Tbsp olive oil.[p]I had on hand: freshly chopped basil, freshly chopped cilantro, fresh mozzarella pieces, shredded Romano, shredded pepper jack cheese, and sliced kalamata olives. That's in addition to the onions and peppers.[p]I shredded the chicken when it was cool enough to handle, and added Ken Stone's Big Chief sauce to the Red Rooster pieces, and some tomato sauce to the remainder. Now I was ready to build the pizzas.[p]The Egg was set up with 2 pizza stones stacked on a couple of firebricks. While it was hot and getting hotter, I divided the dough into 4 10-inch oiled pans.[p]When the Egg had been around the 500-degree range for about 20 minutes and I knew the stones were nice and hot, I spread Big Chief sauce on two of the pizza shells and tomato sauce on the other two. [p]For each, I put the pizza still in the pan on the stone and let it cook for 5 minutes. Then, I removed it from the oven and added the toppings, then slid it out of the pan directly onto the stone, and let it bake for another 15 minutes. [p]The Big Chief pizzas were topped with the Red Rooster chicken, cilantro, onion, peppers, and pepper jack cheese. The tomato pizzas were topped with the tomato sauce chicken, sliced basil, onion, mozzarella, and black olives. I sprinkled these with fresh Romano right before they were done.[p]I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it really wasn't; just some prep work at the get-go. These two pizzas were THE BEST. The crust was perfectly done, nice and crispy and just the perfect brown on the bottom and edges. [p]My only regret is that I could only do one pizza at a time, and we were eating faster than we could turn 'em out. I guess I'll just have to get one of those new XL Eggs.[p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments