Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bibimbap....Stoned Dinner, Korean Style (pic hvy)

Options
2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Michelle,

Really nice!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Steve.... I knew if anyone would appreciate this cook it would be you.... :laugh: . We had fun with it, and will definately do it again! :) I have so much stuff prepped left over, it will probably be a repeat meal tomorrow...but I think I will go for squid.... ;) (Tim only FISHES with squid...lol...He says squid is BAIT!! I disagree... :whistle: ) Thanks for the feedback!! :)
    Can't wait to see Norma, you and the family in March! Going to be a fantastic time for all. ;) (This fest is going to be a mind blower!!!! Shhhh!!!!) B)

Michelle
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks Ross...It was an excellent meal for sure! Appreciate you taking the time to post! :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Took a long time to pull this cook from the archives.... :whistle: . Actually, we had a lot of fun... :laugh: . Definately took two to make dinner happen..... ;) But truly, an awesome meal (which I would gladly pay $20 for so we don't have to do all this work!!!) :woohoo: :silly: :laugh: Honestly though...You can pay big dollars it seems, and in the end, it's a disappointment. :huh: I'll keep doing my thing here. ;)
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Faboulous meal Michelle!! Great pics and tutorial!! I absoulutely love Korean food. I just went to a cute little place in Scottsdale called the "Red Kimchi"
    and I had one of their signature dishes, Haemul jeongol which is a seafood type stew/casserole.
    What was your total prep and cook time on this? Looks very labor intensive.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    We have recieved a few emails asking where to get those stone bowls. Here is the url:
    http://www.koamart.com/shop/48-asian_cookware.asp

You may need to copy and paste.
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Michelle..... SUPERB............absolutely......... SUPERB!!!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    You went to all that trouble and you didn't even invite me :angry: I would have gladly made the drive and it even looks like you made enough. Guess I'll have to just come by everyday to see whats cooking :whistle: :woohoo: :laugh:
    Looks great LC
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    LC,

Great looking meal. I can't wait to watch you make it at the Sunshine Fest afterparty...
    :P :lol: :silly:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    any particular kind of rice. i picked up some stone bowls with covers, the korean woman told me to make rice heat the water in the bowl til boiling, stir in the rice and cover, turn off heat. been getting great rice ever since. :) everything in the asian markets are cheap just need to learn to read the labels
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    ..first I've heard of any of this. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Now, to find some stone bowls so I can try it.
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    That looks awesome
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Michelle, that looks better than what we had for lunch that day at the Super H. Wow, what a great dinner!

I bought those stone bowls and a BBQ stone grill that day at the Super H but haven't used them yet. I wasn't sure how to season, but now I am ready to do that.

Thanks.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Smokin' not stirred
    Options
    LC, This is one of the best looking posts I've seen on the forum. Very tasty looking. A few questions: What kind of rice did you use, how did you make the kimchi and egg and do you clean the bowls with regular soap and water after they cool down. Thanks again for the post, very inspiring. J.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    WOW! Very, very nice. What else could you use those stone bowls for?

Mike
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    That looks sooooo good.The colors are so beautiful.Did you get that recipe out of a book.Please share.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks Beli...It was a fun and tasty cook. ;)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks Pat...LOL...I'll let you know next time it is on the menu! :);)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Ha ha ha....A bit too intensive for the afterparty FOR sure!! :laugh: Thanks for the comments Kim. :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Fishless....I used Jasmine rice....can't beat the aroma and flavor for sure. :) The way these bowls hold on to the heat, I am not surprised to hear your rice story! I'll have to give that a shot. ;)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    RVH...Bubba Tim posted the site of the biz he ordered from.....I'm very pleased with the qualiity. Best to you! :)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Big George...Thanks :) We enjoyed for sure.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Faith....Make the leap!! You won't regret it! :laugh: Boil them off.....then start cookin'!
    Perfect combo for the egg. Thanks for the nice feedback! See you in a few weeks. :) (if you have any questions, feel free to call)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Smoke'n,
    Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully I answer all your questions....though not traditional in Korea, I used Jasmine rice.
    For the egg, it was just like an over easy egg, but break the yolk once the whites start to set.
    The kimchee is a bit more involved...As it is a fermented product. I cut the turnip and turnip greens, minced some garlic, salted and allow to set at room temp overnight, which leaches a lot of moisture out of the veg. (this can be done with Napa Cabbage, Bok Choy, Daikon Radish, etc...) Squeeze the moisture out the next day, and toss with a bit of fish sauce and coarse ground red peppers (from an Asian store.). Then put in a glass container, and add lid loosely. Allow it to sit in a cool dark place (basement, garage, etc) until fermentation begins, then refrigerate. Napa Kim Chee can be considered ready to eat in as little as 3 days....firmer veggies like turnip and such take about 3 weeks. If you are interested in this kind of pickling, look for books on 'Tsukemono' (Japanese pickling). Some pretty interesting things can be accomplished with the Japanese techniques. If you are truly interested, feel free to send me an email at littlechef@bubbatim.com, and I can provide some book titles for you.
    As far as washing the stone bowls, I treat them just like a cast iron skillet. No soap, just hot water and a scrubby.
    Hope this answered everything. ;)

This is the pepper needed for KimChee.....
    (I don't know this web site...it's the first picture of a package I could find....)
    http://www.maangchi.com/ingredients/hot-pepper-flakes
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks CWM! I have used them for soups as well. I guess they can be used for pretty much anything! They clean up in a snap!!
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Jon...I didn't really use a recipe...I have a couple Korean Cookbooks, and there are some bibimbap recipes on the Web. I just surfed, got ideas, then winged it. :blink: My best suggestion for a start would be google. If you would like some cookbook titles, feel free to send me an email. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Rhino
    Rhino Posts: 39
    Options
    Where did you get the bowls and what type are they?
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Rhino....Here is the link where we purchased....They are made of stone called Agalmatolite from Korea. (or so they say...lol) Awesome fun though, and super pleased with the quality. No cracks, no leaks.

http://www.koamart.com/shop/48-asian_cookware.asp
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks LC..I google it!