Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling steaks

Options
Louisiana Redneck
Louisiana Redneck Posts: 198
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good afternoon,
I have been putting off asking these two questions since cooking different things are endless on the egg. 1st, in searing a steak, after 3 minutes each side you then shut down the vents. To get a steak med/med.well how long do you cook it or what temp should it be. It is direct of course. 2nd, in cooking hamburgers, do you cook direct like on a weber and normally for how long? These questions, I'm sure are trival to you old eggers, but help out a Rookie (under 6 months using). THANKS.[p]Louisiana Redneck

Comments

• Louisiana Redneck, the method for steaks you refer to I believe has fallen out of favor as a newer better method came on...(I may be wrong on newer, but personally feel it is better). I like to get the temp to 750 or as high as you can place them on for 2 min, turn & 2 min , then take them in the house and let rest while you bring the egg down to 450, takes about 20 min put em back on 3 min per side for med. I do them buggers direct at about 400 for 10 min per side...it sure makes it easier if you have the instant read themometer and if so check it early rather than late i.e. less done can be continued more done is ruined for a lot of folks.
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Here's a foolproof (depending on the fool) way to do burgers. Make your burgers 1" thick. Cook for 15 minutes a side at 350°. They'll come out perfect every time.[p]Jim
  • Louisiana Redneck, I do hamburgers and steaks the same way, sear them, shut it up for 5 minutes and eat em. I like mine plain medium and they turn out this way every time. Family loves em. I do mainly filets, and hamburgers are usually about 3/4 inch thick with shrooms and onions diced into the meat, little worchestshire sauce, some of ken stones various rubs and I am chowing down. Oops, I am getting carried away here. Think I will have burgers for supper tonight, the vidalia onions are starting to show up in stores. Sounds like a winner. Did I mention grilling whole vidalia onions on the egg?

• La. Redneck
    Options
    slick,[p] Thats sounds just like what I need. I have been concentrating on the other items to cook, I want to get back to the basics. Thanks for the help. The hard items are so easy to prepare on the egg.[p]Louisiana Redneck