Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FoodSaver accessories

Smokin' not stirred
Smokin' not stirred Posts: 301
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, does anyone use any of the cannisters, jar tops, or bottle tops for the FoodSaver? Just wondering if any of them work well. Thanks, J.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Smoke'n not stirred

I use the marinating containers all the time. They are great.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ChefDave
    ChefDave Posts: 142
    I have used all of the cannisters and I believe they work great. Just started using their hand held unit and sealable bags which I think are great.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    like the others said I too have used them, but the key is if your FS is readily available. Mine is under the counter so it's more hassle so I pass, but do use them for dry storage, just not vacuumed down.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • After the first two tries and losing the vacuum each time I tossed them. :angry:
  • Steve -

I have read that the marinating containers are great, but have not yet purchased. What do you use them for (mainly) and is it true you really only need to marinate for an hour or two?

Thanks!
  • I had a marinating container but it failed and would not hold a vacuum after a while. The seal and vacuum valve are not robust. If you go for one consider careful hand washing only, I think the dishwasher killed mine.
    WLL
  • johnrezz
    johnrezz Posts: 120
    I am very dissapointed in food saver. Years ago my wife and I purchased one at wal-mart, the chep version. It worked flawlessly for years. Finnally it wore out and we decided to buy the pro model which cost much more and it turned out to be garbage. No matter what we do it always lets air back in the bag. we have contacted foodsaver time and time again and all they do is send a new seal.......

I know this does not help at all but I saw an oppertunity to B*%CH...

J
  • Little Steven
    Iowa State Egger,

It cuts marinade time to about 1/4. It's easy to overmarinade chicken and I wouldnt even try it with fish. The other nice thing is you can turn the container over. I really like them. I use for small roasts with dry rubs too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Can any sealable canister be used to marinate? I have a set from my old Seal-a-Meal that I tried to use for various things (though not for marinating), but they wouldn't hold a seal. Now that I have a "real" vac sealer, they seem to work much better.

Can these be used for marinating? Thanks.

AAAAAvkFoqQAAAAAAKqDtA.jpg?v=1197081033000

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Michael,

These are the marinading ones. I think those are fr vacuum storage. Might work anyway.

035-1.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Smoke'n not stirred wrote:
    Hey, does anyone use any of the cannisters, jar tops, or bottle tops for the FoodSaver? Just wondering if any of them work well. Thanks, J.

I use the wide mouth quart jars all the time, for both storage and marinating. They work great. I've had my Food Saver for about four years and it gets used almost daily. It is the best kitchen appliance purchase I've made next to my Kitchen Aide mixer and I've got a BUNCH of kitchen appliances!!! The wife will tell you so!!! :lol:
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Just about everything I have is in canning jars or foodsaver jars. The 2 quart canning jars are great.

Dsc01591foodsaverjars-vi.jpg
  • I much prefer using glass mason jars with the FS mason jar attachment than the FS cannisters. I have had lots of problems with the FS cannisters developing small cracks and then they won't hold the vacuum. This also happened with a FS marinator. And, I never put them in the DW so I don't know what caused it. Overall, I love my FS but just for bags and mason jars.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    momcooks, do you find it challenging to reuse those lids with the foodsaver jar sealer attachment? Sometimes I have to make multiple attempts even after soaking the lid in boiled water to soften the seal.
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    you can turn the container over
    Steve, if you meant turning it upside down, wouldn't you mess up or clog the valve/crevices with marinade?
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Not at all, I've reused some of them for years. I do use strictly ball tho.
  • Little Steven
    Gary,

No the check valve is external.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Thanks, Steven. I still haven't come up with a (good) way to seal anything other than bags yet. I have MADE it work with those canisters, but need a better adapter to connect to the Weston. Apparently, Weston doesn't make one... or any other accessory for that matter. I think I'll see if the FS tube will work.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut