Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Long Should A Cup Full Of Wood Chips Smoke?

SmokinSoCal
SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So if I add a cup full of wood chips to my coals how long should it smoke? Am I only getting flavor when I see the smoke? I only ask cause usually it's about 20 mins then gone. Wood Chunks don't seem much better. Whats the best way to get alot of smoke?

Comments

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Ok I will take a stab at this. I would guess that 1 cup full of chips would probably only smoke for 15 to 30 minutes or so. You would probably still get smoke flavoring from the chips some time after that. Dont get caught up in thinking that you have to have smoke rolling to be doing any good. Having said that I would recomend you start using chunks because they will last longer. Chips is probably not that big of a deal if your cooking chicken, pork loin or something thats only going for a couple hours. Hell it's really not a big deal on cooking long cooks. You will just have to use a whole lot more chips vs. chunks. Everyones idea of a good smoke flavoring is diff. I'm sure we have people here that use all chips and get what they need from it. I prefer chunks and I think you will see the majority here does as well. Maybe this helps. Have a good evening!

Just re read your post and see that your wanting a lot of smoke. Go with chunks and throw them on right with the food. On chicken go with about 3 chunks and on pork butts bury three in the lump and go with about 3 more on top when the meat goes on. That should do. I had the same problems when I got started and this is what I've been doing every since with great results.
  •  
    Hi SmokinSoCal,

I am not much help on this and the more knowledgeable will chime in for sure. There is no way to equate the smoke from 1 cup of chips with out considering the temperature of the egg or the air supply. The smoke is generated when the oxygen supply is withheld and the wood smolders. More air and the smoke wood is going to burn better and you get less smoke, a cleaner fire. Another factor is the size of the fire, a low 'n slow may be ideal for making the wood smolder but may be to small to effect very much smoke wood. So when you ask "How Long Should A Cup Full Of Wood Chips Smoke?" it all depends.

I hope someone has a cut and dried answer for you I would like to read it myself.

Gator

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I use chips.Dump the lump,throw in a couple of fists full of chips then stir the lump.The chips will be distributed throughout the lump so you will have smoke til the lump is burned up.You get the smoke flavor even if you do not have smoke rollin outta the top.Actually if you do see smoke,it is BAD!Sounds crazy,but it's true.Try it! ;)
  • Love this place.

Thanks!
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    what hoss said....a chunk, and an equal amount of chips will produce the same amount of smoke...in fact you are less likely to have a fire miss your smoking wood if you use chips. I use whatever is available to me....if I get if from the woodpile (maple, oak etc) then I use chunks....If I buy apple or pecan it is chips because that is what is available near me.....

spread the chips throughout the lump and you will get smoke throughout the cook.