Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican themed super bowl party

eggineric
eggineric Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys,

I have just been informed I an attending a Mexican themed super bowl party and am supposed to bring something. Everyone is expecting something off the egg and I don't have the time to come up with something to cook. I was wondering if any of you had any ideas and recipes. Thanks in advance.

ee

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Fajita/taco bar! ;) Enchiladas.This one is easy! :)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Smoked Pork Chili Verde, made extra thick. Served with some small flour tortillas and sour cream.
  • ABT's are always a crowd pleaser.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Frijoles a la charra...make it into a dip for some Tostito scoops.
  • When Rick Bayless was on Top Chef Masters, he kept a blog with his comments about the show. He also posted a few recipes. I couldn't find the blog anymore, but the recipe I was thinking of when I read your post is now on the Bravo website: queso fundido burgers
    http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recipes/queso-fundido-burger-with-trio-of-guacamole
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    What Bacchus said. That sounds delicious and will hold well for serving at a later time. What time is the party? :woohoo:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Try cooking this or other chili in advance, reheats nicely, just add rice.

Chili, Pork, Green, Richard Fl.

BGEChiliPork.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    5 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Boneless
    2-3 Lbs. Onions, Quartered, Sliced 1/4 inch Thick
    6 11 Ozs. Tomatillos, Tomatoes, Canned, Remove Husks & Stem, Save Liquid
    3 7 Ozs. Taco Sauce, Green, Mild
    2-3 3 1/2 Ozs. Green Chilis, Diced
    1 Good Beer, Coors, Corona, not dark or light
    2 Pints Chicken Broth
    2-3 Pints Salsa Fresca
    4 Tbs. Red Tomato Paste`
    2-3 Whole Jalapeños, Seeds & Veins Removed, Finely Diced, You decide How Hot!
    3 Tbs. Red Pepper, Crushed
    6 Tbs Green Chili Powder,
    2-3 Tbs. Sugar
    2 Tbs. Cumin
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Preparation
    1 Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces, Saute in a Dutch oven to render grease and partially cook. Drain. Cook Onions in a little olive oil until start to wilt. Add pork back into pot and then the rest of the ingredients.
    2 Bring to boil and then simmer. Place lid on pot and cook 1-1 1/2 hours. Remove lid toward end and reduce if too much liquid. Add beer or chicken broth if to thick.
    3 Serve with fresh hot tortillas and/or rice.
    4 Works well with leftover turkey or chicken also. Freezes very well!
    5 This can also be done on the BGE, 9 QT Dutch Oven, Indirect, Plate Setter leg up, something to lift the DO off the plate setter 1/2 inch or so, 350F, no top on DO, light smoke couple of hours. Keep an eye on it so it does not dry out.

Yield: 2

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, '75

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 1980/05/25

2009/08/21--Richard Fl--Cooked 2 8 1/2 lbs pork butt 350F for 3 hours. Used them for the Florida Mini Fest. Made 3 gallons chili and took to party and reheated in 9 qt DO.
  • I was kinda thinking about trying that. Thanks everyone.
  • If you don't have time to cook, this is super quick and very good.

Chile con queso dip:

Velveeta cheese
    Rotel's Tomatos & Green chiles

Melt them together. If you want to get fancy, throw in some cooked hamburger meat.

Take tostada chips with you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• One thing that is very filling and very good is Puerco Pibil. I think I've talked myself into what I bringing to the superbowl.

Doug