Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning a WOK !

Options
thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There has been a lot of WOK TALK (try that three times fast) on the forum lately so I thought I would post my seasoning instructions (this is for coated pan)...CLICK HERE for my instructions on seasoning a WOK...I am sure that others have similar instructions avaialble. ENJOY!

OR, here are the instructions below...

How to Season a WOK (for Grilling on the BGE of course!)
Nothing beats having the proper tools for the job, any job. The maintenance of those tools is important too. In the case of cookware, some items require “seasoning” before their first use. This is the case with Carbon Steel and Cast Iron pots and pans. In this entry I will explain the purpose of and demonstrate the steps required to season a carbon steel Wok before it’s first cook.

The pan (new) will have a protective coating on it (probably a thin coat of varnish) to keep it from rusting in shipment or while on display for sale; IT MUST BE REMOVED!

Initial Cleaning

Fill the pan ½ to ¾ full with water. Bring water to boil, continuing for 5-7 minutes. Pour the water out of the pan and immediately scrub with hot soapy water and a scouring pad (SOS works well here).

DSC00135.jpg

CAUTION-PAN IS HOT!

Initial Seasoning
Rub 2 Tbs of cooking oil over the entire interior surface of the pan. Place over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Using a paper towel, distribute the oil over the entire surface (inside) of the pan while it is heating.

DSC00136.jpg

Remove pan from heat and allow for cooling; Repeat 3 or 4 times and then the pan is now ready to use!

Basic Care
Wash with hot water only. Dry thoroughly. Remove burned food with a scouring pad and hot water. Soaps or detergents will remove the seasoning. APPLY A THIN FILM OF COOKING OIL BEFORE STORING TO AVOID RUSTING. If you use soap to clean the pan in the future, simply follow the initial seasoning steps again to re-season the pan and restore the protective finish and NEVER wash in the dishwasher!

DSC00137.jpg

LONG TERM THE WOK GETS DARK BROWN/BLACK...DON'T ATTEMPT TO SCRUB THIS OFF...compare the pic below to that of those above...THAT IS SEASONING!!
DSC_1036.jpg
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241