Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Check out my plans

JTGray
JTGray Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I am getting ready to put together my table, and have drawn up some plans in PowerPoint, saved as png for uploading here. I'd love to hear what you all think. I modified Whiz Flash-Burn's plans to accomodate my desire for an 8 foot table to house one medium and one large. I'm using Cypress wood. All pieces are 4"x7/8", except for one piece on the foot at the left end, to attach the fixed castors. At the right end I have swivel castors. I will need to be able to move the table, and with two eggs I thought I would have trouble lifting one end.

I've incorporated a different design for the support of the eggs, using 3 fire bricks set about 1" apart, to allow ventilation. They are supported by 3 cross-beams, which will be notched to hold them in place. The way they are positioned I'm going to be able to scrap the ashes out of the egg and directly into a bucket under the table. I've also made the table high enough to allow me to slide a 17" plastic storage bin underneath, where I will hold my charcoal.

I might start putting this together tomorrow, if I can get to it. Looking forward to hearing your input.

John

GreenEggTablePlans1.png
GreenEggTablePlans2.png

I have never done the photobucket thing before so I apologize if these look lousy. If so, tips would be appreciated. They look fine when I open them locally.

Comments

• How tall are you? I'm 5'9" and my table is 33" high and perfect for me. Just make sure your table height is at a good height for you. Make sure to estimate a height measurement at the felt line of your egg too so when you open it up - your at a good working height with the grate.

You might have already thought about all of this - looks great...good luck.

LJ
  • JTGray
    You are right that mine is a bit higher than that. I think my drawing is wrong in that the felt is probably 3 inches above the bottom part of the hinge, which is just above the 37 inch table height. 40 inches does sound a little high. I'm 5'10".
  • I made a mistake...my table is 35" high at the table top. Add to that 5" to the felt...so my felt is at 40" and works good for me.

I use a small and mini egg - and on the small, I use the GrateMates Deluxe with the Tall legs most of the time. This puts the grate 2" above felt and is perfect cooking height for me. Even cleaning or removing fire ring, firebox, etc for changing setups - the 40" felt is a great height. FYI

LJ
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Your plans look great! My top is 34" and the gasket is 38", I'm 5'8" and this height works very well for me. My table is also made of cypress with just a wood sealer/UV protector finish and I am very happy with it [see "Wagon Wheel Table" on this forum].
    With just a single large egg my setup is still a lot to move around, so you are right about going with 4 wheels.
    You probably should use the largest casters that you can get to ease the rolling.
    I'll be looking forward to the finished pics. :cheer:

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • On my first table, I did it with casters. Then, when I did a second one, I realized I had never moved the first one in 3 years. So, I designed the second one without casters but longer legs.
    Your design looks great.
  • Very nice Looking forward to seeing the finished product
  • I think your 16-3/4 " & 14" measurement from the second shelf to the top shelf needs to be 15" for a large & medium egg in order for the hinge to clear your table top.Check out the naked whiz web site table plans for those dimensions.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.pdf
  • JTGray
    Thank you all for your input. I am putting it together now. I extended it out to 8 feet long, as otherwise I would have wasted one foot of wood, and I brought the upper surface down so that the felt will be about at 39-40". I still have 17" of space under for storage.

I am taking pictures along the way and will post all when done, probably this weekend. I also started a new thread looking for input on finishes.