Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MickeyT rings have landed Down Under!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
G'day all,[p]I received a set of MickeyT rings for my large Egg this week, thanks to our friend Mick T. I can't wait to try them out this long weekend - does anyone have tips to get the most out of them? e.g. what size rings for what temps, position of bottom vent etc. Cheers, and thanks again Mick![p]Jake

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Aussie Jake, Sweet. Nothing like getting a package of ingenuity from the US of A. As we speak I'm using the rings on a low/slow on my large egg. I've only had mine for a couple of months, and I'm no expert. However, what I really like is using the #1-#3 rings for slow cooks. Mick suggested I keep the bottom vent wide open, and I usually do. When I go to sleep, I leave it about 1/2 open, just for safety. This seems to have no effect on the dome temp.[p]I think ambient temps, and the dome temp when you put the rings on affect your controlled temps. For instance, if the grill gets settled in at 275, even the #1 ring wont get you to 200, unless it's cool outside and you have lots of time.[p]FYI, I have an established fire going(7 hours), using #1 ring and it's about 70 degrees out. My dome temp is steady at 225.[p]I've done chicken a couple of times and find #7 puts me at about 350.[p]That's the extent of my knowledge. Good luck. [p]Scott[p][p][p][p]
  • BunkyRub
    BunkyRub Posts: 52
    Options
    Aussie Jake,
    What is a Mickey T ring??? Does it help control temp? Thanks.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Aussie Jake,[p]Had rings for a while now. I tend to use the 4, 5, 6 most often and although I could use them for all cooking, I really to only use them for low n slow cooks. [p]Mickey also made some rings for my mini egg and I love them. I use the mini for grilling allot, but I smoked a 2.5 lb butt several weeks ago. it was great! Now the mini can be use as a smoker as well. Maybe ribs this afternoon ... wife is out with the girls!![p]Smokey

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Aussie Jake,
    I am interested in seeing these rings. Can someone post a picture of them?[p]Thanks,[p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    Aussie Jake,
    I leave the bottom door wide open when I use the rings. #3 usually does me pretty good for low and slow, unless it is winter and then I tend to use a 4 or a 5. Start out with a small fire and a full load of lump and put on a #3 and see where that gets you. Should put you near 250*, and you can work from there. I love the rings.
    Seth