Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A few pics.

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Entrance to strip mall.
010.jpg
The "retired" Mr. Goodscents.
011.jpg
Small, but have 1250 sq ft. available if needed.
012.jpg
013.jpg
017.jpg

I am still researching on how colors affect buying in the restaurant biz. These will not be the colors I use.

Mike

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I agree, Mike - those colors flip me off!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I am thinking light blue and white. The key to most businesses these days is, many profit centers. Thanks for the help on the dry aging.

Mike
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Ditto on the colors...babys**t yellow doesn't put me in the mood to eat.

This is a lot bigger and more developed place than I had imagined, Mike, given your focus on carry-out and offsite catering. Are you planning on cooking outdoors, or putting the FEC inside and ventilating it?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    No FEC inside. My outside cooking with be classes. No pics, but I have an area that will accomodate 100 people. Only want 50 people at a time.

Mike
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Nice!I wish I could do that.Blues are soothing and people tend to spend more time in areas in blue tones. :)
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Looks great Mike. You will do great.
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Options
    cool Mike. Just make sure you have someone to cover for you so you can still go to Eggfests.

The Filly
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I have a great part time cook. Can't miss you and Randy in OKC.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    This is a great opportunity for me. I think the blue/white is a good combo.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Thanks AL, I should have a design for aprons, shirts and hats in a few days.

Mike
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Mike:

Great to hear about the restaurant startup. I'm certain that it will be a success.

I have a friend here who started a BBQ restaurant just over three years ago in an old Quizno's sub shop (smaller than what you have)...he's now in three units in the strip mall. I'll be glad to have him call you if you want to talk about his efforts at starting something like this. He does have a couple of Primo units in an outside area that he occasionally cooks on. I have gone over a few times to do pizza's for a private party for him. Let me know if you want to talk with him.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Jay, that would be great. I have a meeting again this week with the city. But, I would love to talk to him later in the week. In the meantime, do you think he/you could send me his first menu when he started.
    Speaking of you cooking, I plan on using a daily feature from a forum member, there fav recipe.
    Thanks again for the heads up, he could be a wealth of knowledge.

Mike
  • bitslammer
    Options
    carwash mike wrote:
    This is a great opportunity for me. I think the blue/white is a good combo.

Mike

I actually remember taking a class where it was said that reds and dark orange colors increase appetite.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Options
    I would visit your local mcdonalds, papa johns, taco bell, etc. Don't eat anything. Just look. The big guys spend a lot of r and d on these type of things.
    Congratulations on living your dream.
    jon
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Good Luck Mike!
    I have a friend(professional chef) who used to teach at Cook Street in Downtown Denver.He didn't want to open a restaurant so he opened a catering business out of his home and then had BBQ trailer he worked out of on the weekends on a busy hwy in Lyons Colorado that leads to Rocky Mountain National Park.
    He said one of his most poular items on the menue is pulled chicken sandwiches.He just cooks whole chickens with a rub.Then pulls them and add some mild sauce and offers other sauces when the sandwiches are served on nice white ,soft buns.Serves them with coleslaw and beans.
    He also has the usual ribs, pulled pork, brisket.
    Best of luck to you!
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Mike.....aren't you opening in just over 4 weeks? How is it coming?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Bad, ran into some electrical issues. Remodeling starts Monday. Thanks for asking.

Mike