Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7" Shun Classic Santoku deal

Options
Tractor
Tractor Posts: 288
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just ran across this over on cutleryandmore.com. Could you guys/gals who know about these knives comment? Would this be a decent entry for me into fine cutlery? My collection tops off at Cutco right now.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=5282

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Personally I think that's a very good price, I paid over $100 for mine. I have 3 Shun's but they are the only high end knife I've ever had.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • my recommendation would be to go to a place like williams sonoma. i'm pretty sure they will let you try them out.

i got a santoku early on in my "must have a knife" phase. i find it is a serviceable slicer, but it takes a bit more effort and force to cut through things like potatoes, big squash, etc.

and it doesn't roll easily for me. the blade has a curve at the tip and then runs very flat.

if you don't have a knife, first one i'd suggest getting is an 8" chef's knife. the wusthof isn't too heavy, but it has some heft and will roll easier and cut things more easily than the santoku. you sort of push the santoku thru things/ the chef's knife rolls almost like a paper cutter.

JMO
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    On your first question, yes it's an excellent knife and the price is good. Going on eB*y for the same price and higher. I also agree with stripsteak that you don't need both a chef's knife and a santoku. I have 5 Shun Kajis now including the 8" chef's knife and the 7" santoku. I like them both, but they're essentially used for the same purposes. The granton edge on the santoku is supposed to prevent food from sticking to the blade, but I don't notice much of an improvement over the chef's knife.

Mark
  • I just got the exact knife and I love it. I paid the same price at Williams & Sanoma. Great knife so far, but I have only had it a couple weeks.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I agree that the chef's knife is the most important and useful knife you can own. I have not had a BGE for very long, but I have been cooking for a long time. I really like good knives.

I have a santoku, 8" chef's knife, 10" chef's knife, filet knife, slicing knife, paring knife, ceramic nakiri vegetable cleaver, steel cleaver, etc. Invariably, I pull out my 10" chef's knife when I am cooking because it does it all - slice, dice, chop - and cuts though most anything - meat, veggies, fingers. :blink:

Also, spend the money to get a good chef's knife. I have had mine for over 20 years. It still keeps, an edge and I have only had to take it to a professional sharpener one time. It was a great investment even though I thought it was a ton of money when I bought it.
  • stuff sticks to my santoku too. in fact, with the wider blade, i'd go so far as to say that if i were cutting something like a big cuke or zucchini, it would likely stick to the santoku before it stuck to the chef's knife.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    is the sun thinner like a global deba, was filleting some big flank steaks this weekend and last and found the wide thin blades work really well at that kind of slicing, better than using my fillet which was left at camp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I think santokus do have thinner blades, but they are not flexible like a filet knife. The santoku blade is good for slicing veggies and meats that do not stick to the blade. Not so good for slicing cheeses.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    This is a great knife for veggies Jeff.It is really good for tomatoes also.

Larry

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku9230145/?pkey=cknives-shun%7Ccutshncls
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I have one except it has the scallops in the side (technically, not a Granton edge). It's all I ever use. I never use my chef's knife any more. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I have the Cutco 7" Santoku and I am very pleased with it. I was not so thrilled about my Cutco knives until I saw a show on the History Channel one day about knife making. They worked with the Cutco research lab to demonstrate how a knife edge dulls over time. Apparently Cutco has one of the top knife research labs in the world. I look at my Cutco knives with a little more pride now.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 63
    Options
    Been selling at that price since before Christmas at many places - I bought one as an Xmas present for my s-in-law at Sur La Table and I think Williams Sonoma had it for a buck or two more at the time. Made me wonder if they are preparing to phase it out.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Yep. As I recall when I bought mine that has the scallops on the sides, the plain sided blade was more expensive that the scalloped blade. I wonder if they just don't sell as many of plain-sided models or something....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Personally, I don't care for the Santoku's. I don't own one, but have used them many times when visiting Mom. I always find myself missing my Chef's knife. If you can have only one, or are buying your first quality knife, my vote goes to the Chefs.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Great feedback! Some of you who do not like the Shun Santoku, would you prefer the Ken Onion? Say the 8.25"?
  • Madtownbound
    Options
    Amazon has the 7 inch Santoku in both the standard and scalloped edge for that price every day so don't feel rushed to purchase.