Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Brisket! With Pictures

Options
GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I did my first brisket Saturday on my BGE. From everything I read here and on other sites, I was under the impression that it would take about 1.5 hours per pound. After a little trimming, my packer cut weighed in at about 9.3 pounds. It went on the smoker at 1:45am Saturday morning. I stayed up with it until about 3am making sure that the temp of the Egg was steady at 230-235. Our dog woke me up at 7:30am. I let her out and checked the Egg and the dome temp was steady at 230. I got up for good at 9:15am and the temp was between 230-235.

At 9:45 I decided to take a peek under the dome. My brisket was nice and black (see picture). I thought that was kinda odd since it still had 6-7 hours to go. I decided to check the temp. Stuck in my probe and the temp read 185-190. I was blown away it was done in 8 hours. I am glad I checked. I took it off, wrapped it in foil and a towel and placed it in a towel lined cooler and came here screaming for help. My dinner guests weren't coming until 6pm!

After a lot of good advice, here's what I did...I started the Egg back up at around 4pm and got it to a steady 200 degrees in no time at all. I pulled the brisket from the cooler and carved off the point. I barely even needed to use the knife. It almost fell apart in my hands. I tossed the point in some more dry rub. I wrapped the flat back in tin foil but added about 1/4 cup of beef broth first. I sealed it up tight and put the flat and the point back on the smoker for 2 hours.

After I pulled the flat and point off the smoker at 6:30pm, I let both rest covered in foil for another 20 minutes. I cubed the point and tossed in BBQ sauce to finish off the burnt ends. OMG! They were the tastiest morsels of BBQ beef I have ever tasted. I then started to carve the brisket eyeballing the notch I had made before smoking it to make sure I cut against the grain. It literally fell apart while I was carving it. I have never seen a brisket this tender. It was separating at the grain lines. I continued to carve but I ended up serving it as chopped beef instead of sliced. It literally melted in your mouth.

I served a 2 hour slow cooked mac and cheese, compliments of a Paula Deen recipe, a brunswick stew that I made from a 5lb smoked chicken I had smoked the day before, and garlic texas toast. Quite honestly the best BBQ I have ever eaten. Actually I wasn't sure if the brisket should have fallen apart like it did, but nobody was complaining. It was just so tender and succulent.

Seasoned with Rub and Ready for the Egg!
BrisketSeasonedBeforeCooking.jpg?t=1263167555

BGE Lit Before Closing Lid
BGEWarmingUp.jpg?t=1263167979

Brisket Goes on BGE
BrisketGoesOnEgg.jpg?t=1263168098

Lid Closed at 1:45am
LidClosedNiceSmokeStack.jpg?t=1263168190

8 Hours Later at 9:45am
8HoursLater.jpg?t=1263168249

Burnt Ends
BurntEnds.jpg?t=1263168332

Chopped Brisket and Burnt Ends
ChoppedBrisketandBurntEnds.jpg?t=1263168383

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    You have been busy. Glad it all worked out, sorry it cooked so fast, some pieces of meat will do that. I unfortunately end up with the ones that go long. I does appear that you were able to save it in the end though. Good job and thanks for sharing.
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You nailed one of the more difficult cooks....congrats...
  • field hand
    Options
    Looks great. Don't mess with success. The cook was less than you expected, but you had a plan. Sounds like your guests didn't have any complaints. Plan "B's" are a must.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice looking bark on that!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE