Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - another food slicer (pic heavy)

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,591
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recall that I bought this not too long ago, but not happy with the quality (what do you expect for $5 :P )
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=777912&catid=1

Two days ago I picked up another one, a Nella 10" 250E. It's a light commercial duty slicer similar to this, retails for $500 to $600+ :
http://compare.ebay.com/like/400062356120?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes

Like I said, it needed some TLC and elbow grease. I took a chance because the motor is sound, the fence is true and the blade is not warped.

First off, the sharpening stone was missing so I had to buy a new set. Took over an hour to sharpen because the bevel on the blade didn't match the built in sharpener's. The motor doesn't overheat even after running over an hour continually.

After grinding half way, you can see the old bevel:
IMG_6890.jpg

Finished grinding:
IMG_6897.jpg

Cleaned and lubricated the guts:
IMG_6904.jpg

Reassembled (without the plastic handle and clamp):
IMG_6906.jpg

Test slice of carrot sandwiched between pennies:
IMG_6902.jpg
IMG_6901.jpg

Still have unfinished business - power plug needs replacing, anchor for the clamp has stripped screw holes, plastic handle/food guard cracked:
IMG_6907.jpg

Ironically, the only screw up involved a plastic screw. There was some play in the sliding tray so I tightened the nut that controls the nylon adjustment screw. Went just a tad too far and the nylon snapped :blush::angry: The other half of the nylon screw is still in place controlling the play just fine, may not have to worry about replacement/adjusting for years:
IMG_6909.jpg

bottom line:
beat up meat slicer from craigslist - $40
new set of sharpening + dressing stone wheels from Nella - $30
fun, satisfaction & frustration - priceless :P
canuckland

Comments