Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo Wings Sauce Recipe

Options
Seattle Todd
Seattle Todd Posts: 227
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This purportedly is the actual recipe from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. I've tried it and though I haven't been to the 'Mecca' of wings in NY it's pretty close to the better sauces I've tried across the country. And it's easy as pie![p]1/2 stick butter
4 - 5 T. Frank's brand Louisiana hot sauce (Tabasco'd work great and I have to try it with Cajun Garlic sauce)
1 1/2 T. White wine or plain ol' white vinegar.[p]Great with chicken wings or breasts off the egg. Tried it with jumbo shrimp and it didn't work so great. The shrimp need to be breaded to really absorb the sauce methinks.

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Seattle Todd,
    I picked this up somewhere, I can't remember where. This is the way they do it at the Anchor Bar. It's interesting reading and I'm sure it can be adapted to the Egg.[p]Anchor Bar Hot Wings[p]The key to good Buffalo Wings is how you prepare them as well as the ingredients and the handling of the wings. The most successful wings served up here in Buffalo are what they call "Grade A Grinders." Fresh wings that are very large and meaty. Usually, you cannot get them in a frozen package, but can get them from a poultry dealer. Once you find them make sure they are absolutely fresh.[p]Wash them in cold water, split them at the joint and remove the tips. Place them on a rack on a pan and refrigerate overnight to let the blood and water drain out of the wings. THIS IS A REAL KEY. Drying the wings under refrigeration will help to make them a much crispier product, once deep fried. Next, use a deep fryer or a very heavy deep pot with a thermometer and add the oil. Peanut oil is very good, or a commercial product such as can be found at a restaurant cash and carry called Mel Fry. Heat the oil up SLOWLY, to 365F and, depending on the size of the fryer, deep fry the dry wings 6-8 minutes in small batches, until thoroughly done and golden brown. Hold the cooked wings in a warm oven if necessary.[p]A combination of melted margarine and hot sauce in the ratio of 1 part margarine to 3 parts hot sauce will add the right zing. The key here is to add just enough sauce to coat the wings - the more sauce you add, the hotter they will be. For the very brave, 1 part margarine to 3 parts hot sauce and 1 part Tabasco is referred to as "Suicidal Wings" by the late and dear Don Bellissimo, who owned the Anchor Bar.[p]Working quickly, place the deep fried wings in a large bowl and add the sauce mixture, shaking to coat them.[p]There are many good hot sauces to use; the one they use is either Durkee Franks Red Hot Sauce or Wingers Original, again found in a restaurant cash and carry.[p]Serve with celery sticks and chunky blue cheese dressing (Ken's Buffalo Style Blue Cheese is a popular one) and plenty of napkins.[p]JimW

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Seattle Todd,
    I haven't been to the Anchor Bar either, but I went to graduate school in Rochester, NY, where wings are also a staple on every menu. Here's what has worked well for me.
    I buy wings and egg them as usual...300 degrees or so, turning every ten minutes until brown and crispy. With about 10 minutes left in the cook, I brush on (liberally) Texas Pete's Hot Wings Sauce, then shake on some McCormick's Lemon & Pepper. Pull them off Mr. Dumpty and enjoy...they are great! Naturally, serve with celery sticks and Blue Cheese Dressing.

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    bdavidson, any idea where I can get Texas Pete's Hot WIng Sauce you list. I'm in Maine so I'm sure I'm taling mailorder from somewhere else. Thanks

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Seattle Todd,[p]Will the real buffalo wing recipe please stand up. I have a copy of the Williams/Sonoma "Grilling" cookbook which also claims to contain the original wing recipe from the Anchor Bar. The marinade is interesting and they are grilled and not deep fried. All wing lovers should try this once. I will post if there is any interest.[p]K~G
  • Unknown
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Please post it as I would be interested.[p]Old Dave
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Here ya go and enjoy![p]K~G

[ul][li]Another Anchor Bar wing recipe[/ul]
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Doug,
    Sorry about that. Don't know about its availability in ME.