Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NC Bbq Chicken

willrev
willrev Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New Egghead. Has anyone tried the traditional NC Barbecue chicken on the egg? It is more of a apple cider vinegar and butter type bbq that you mop. Wondering what temp to cook chicken. Still figuring out the forum setup. You guys have shared a lot of info.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Not sure what the NC BBQ is all about. But, I was NEVER able to cook (BBQ) chicken in my first 58 years.
    Now with the egg I can do very good chicken.
    I use the large and an adj rig. Cook up high in the dome and cook it direct. You can cook chicken like a pro that way. ;) I spatchcock all chicken except wings.
    I have the temp at 375
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Spatchcock works good raised at 400 too. Takes about an hour.

Doug
  • I don't know about Chicken, but here's Elder Ward's NC pulled pork:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=114

would something like this work on chicken?
  • willrev
    willrev Posts: 80
    Well, in the old days, people had a pit for the coals and sandwiched the chicken between two pieces of diamond plate grid and cooked them a few inches from the coals and flipped them every 5 mins. and basted them with an NC Vinegar style sauce of 1 pint cider vinegar, 1 pint water, 1/5 pint of melted butter/margerine, 2 tablespoons salt and 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper and maybe a few red pepper flakes boiled first. This was for about 10 chicken halves. It is actually really good with the smoke of the fire. Lots of churches do it like this as fundraisers in the Eastern part of the state of NC. I tried it on my regular grid, but had one spell of flash up and the chicken got a little over done. I don't have a raised grid yet. I see why now. Still learning.
  • DSC04533cc.jpg

You bet. Eastern NC mops and sops are a favorite of mine. Of course I have a lot of favorites....

With NC ribs I make a foil boat to catch some of the mop. With NC chicken I barbecue them in a pan, mopping early on, then using a bulb baster and the pan juices later on in the cook. Notice I have the chicken pan sitting on Egg legs in that heat shield pan for an air space. Depending on your set-up chicken pit temps will vary from 250° to 350°. When I cook it on the grate I like a raised direct cook for better control on doneness and color.

DSC09789a.jpg

DSC08880a.jpg