Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The jerky must be good!

Options
smokeydrew
smokeydrew Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It was my first try at jerky, so I was relatively pleased, but so far I have had 1 offer to start a small business and several people have said it was the best jerky they have ever had.[p]I just used the high mountain seasoning that basspro shop sells. I also tried a grocery store brand teriaky(sp?) marinade which I thought was the best jerky I've ever tasted.[p]This will probably become a weekly ritual.

Comments

• smokeydrew,[p]I've been thinking about trying some jerky on the BGE. What times, temps, and setup did you use? What cut of meat and thickness do you use? Spare no details.[p]Chas
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    chas from MO,
    See the link below for jerky info. He does not use an egg but there is a lot of good info and recipes.[p]BeerMike

[ul][li]Kevi's Jerky Page[/ul]
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    chas from MO,
    Hey bud, Jerky is very easy. Find yourself a marinade, cut the beef about 1/4" thick and in long slices(I used top round since it was on sale when I did jerky, but others are fine), marinate over night (at least 12 hours), get a direct set-up going at 170*, make a pile of jerky in the middle of the egg, cook at 170* (ish) for 1 hour 15 mins, flip the whole pile, cook for another 1 hour 15 mins and seperate each piece and cook for another 4 to 6 hours at 170* (ish) flipping the meat every hour. It's killer. I think GFW has a web site thw can tell you exactly how to do this. I followed his technique and made jerky three times in one week. Joe

[ul][li]GFW's Site[/ul]