Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chips or Chunks, Wet or dry?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How about some discussion on the what you use to add smoke. Why and when[p]Thanks[p]Dan

Comments

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    When - often.[p]Why - drives the neighbors crazy. <g>
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    BackYardDan,[p]I don't use chips as much anymore. About the only time I do is for throwing on just before grilling something hot and fast like burgers, pork chops, steaks...[p]Chips work well mixed in with lump before lighting for longer, lower temp cooks, but for that, I've moved to chunks. The chunks last longer.
    I don't think you need to soak chips or chunks, but some folks swear by it.[p]Here's what I have on hand right now:
    Hickory
    Chestnut
    Cherry
    Plum
    Apple
    Jack Daniel barrel Oak chunks[p]I'm hurting for some pecan.[p]Hope this helps,
    John[p][p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Top o' the marnin' to ya Dan,
    For lower temp cooks my favorite is a cordless-phone-sized chunk plunged deep into the heart of the coals about a half hour before putting the meat on....or until the smoke thins to a thin stream. If you open the cooker, and a huge cloud of smoke billows out, it is not time to put your meat on.[p]I use a lot of cherry, but hickory, pecan, apple, sugar maple provide variety. Jack Danielswhiskey infused oak is probably the best smelling wood I have ever used.[p]A Harp and a Guinness to you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BackYardDan,[p]We have several different woods to choose from at our house:[p]Oak
    Cherry
    Hickory
    Apple
    Pecan
    Alder
    Maple[p]My favorites for beef are cherry or oak. For pork I usually use hickory or cherry. For fish, I usually use alder or a fruitwood. I don't usually use any wood on poultry. The pecan and maple are nice for variety.[p]My preference is dry chunks. I've never really noticed any advantage to soaking, so I don't do it. I can get oak, cherry and hickory in chunks, but so far, haven't been able to get the apple, pecan, maple, or alder in chunks, but have been discussing with a local dealer and he's open to ordering some in for us.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Love Handles
    Options
    BackYardDan,
    I use cherry a lot for pork, mesquite and oak for beef. I used to soak in water, but like the flavor better dry. I've got some almond laying around that I haven't used yet. Anyone used almond? I think the key to low & slow is to bury some of the chunks in the lump so they don't all burn at the same time. See-Yaa