Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon wrapped dove breast

Options
BBQ BOY
BBQ BOY Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to cook me up some dove breast from Saturday's hunt. left them in milk, salt & pepper since then.
Put them on the cooker over direct heat. They turned out more done than intended because the kids needed my attention for a few seconds after I checked the breast. I came back about 5 minutes later and noticed I left the stack wide open. Well the temp reached 400 deg. Dangit!!! I pulled them off and bit in. WOW!!! They were very very tender and juicy. Internal temp was about 165, which was way too high. Cooked with apple chips.
Heated up some left over squash casserole and sweet potato souffle and tada!
IMG_1766.jpg
IMG_1768.jpg
IMG_1769.jpg
IMG_1772.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Poor little birdies. Delicious, tender birdies.

I usually do them bone-in and do both breasts at once. If I pull the breast from the bone I either use the paper thin bargain bacon or par cook it a little in the microwave.

Ever try doing them on skewers? I'm doing a last dove shoot of the year on the 9th and that is my plan for the last batch.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    The dove looks good! I recognize those two sides. We grew up with the summer squash casserole and the sweet potato souffle!!
    Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Good looking meal. I like to stuff quail. Don't know if it will work with dove.

Quail, Bacon Wrapped, Stuffed, Richard Fl

QUAIL1.jpg

Ingredients
    6 Whole Quail
    *****OR*****
    1-2 Cornish Game Hens
    3 cups Cooked Rice, Basmati preferred
    1/2 cup Pignole, Pine Nuts, Peacans, Walnuts, your choice
    1/2 cup Chutney
    1/4 cup Scallions
    12 Pieces Bacon
    **SAUCE**
    1 Jar Raspberry Jam 4-6 Oz. or Orange Marmalade
    Dijon Mustard
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Lemon Juice
    Salt/Pepper

Preparation
    1 Cook Rice, Basmati or Jasmine preferred, Use 1/3 orange juice by volume of total liquid used to cook rice.
    2 Mix cooked rice w/ nuts ( pignoles or pecans chopped), chutney, scallions, stuff quail, works well w/cornish game hens, just takes more. ingredients to stuff birds. Use: pepper, salt,poultry seasoning whatever you like for rub.. Stuff birds w/mixture.
    Cooking
    1 Wrap birds w/bacon , may take 2-3 pieces to totally wrap quail, cornish lay 2-3 pieces on breast and cook indirect breast up. For quail skewer w/large tooth picks or something else to hold the bacon.
    2 Place in oven baking dish on rack to keep drippings underneath or place on BGE and grill using indirect method. Bake 325-350 F for 40-50 minutes until bacon is crispy, Start quail birds breast down, and turn breast up 1/2 way into cook. "V" rack works well for cornish, cook breast up with bacon strips.
    Sauce
    1 Mix the sauce ingredients in a pan on low heat, add raspberry jam first. Tablespoon Dijon, Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar. Lemon juice and seasoning. Bring to slow boil and stir; adjust to your tastes. Orange marmalade may be substituted for the raspberry.
    2 Rest 10 minutes. Serve. If Egging be careful not to let the drippings flare and burn bacon/birds. Great reheated next day.

Servings: 6
    Yield: 6
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour
    Ready in: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, 05/25/02

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/02/27
  • c tredwell
    Options
    Arrrgghhh! you're killin' me! Didnt get a chance to dove hunt all year! :angry: Now, we have millet up in the fields, and its too wet to cut... just damn :pinch: Yours look awesome!
  • BBQ BOY
    Options
    Richard Fl wrote:
    Good looking meal. I like to stuff quail. Don't know if it will work with dove.

Quail, Bacon Wrapped, Stuffed, Richard Fl

QUAIL1.jpg

Ingredients
    6 Whole Quail
    *****OR*****
    1-2 Cornish Game Hens
    3 cups Cooked Rice, Basmati preferred
    1/2 cup Pignole, Pine Nuts, Peacans, Walnuts, your choice
    1/2 cup Chutney
    1/4 cup Scallions
    12 Pieces Bacon
    **SAUCE**
    1 Jar Raspberry Jam 4-6 Oz. or Orange Marmalade
    Dijon Mustard
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Lemon Juice
    Salt/Pepper

Preparation
    1 Cook Rice, Basmati or Jasmine preferred, Use 1/3 orange juice by volume of total liquid used to cook rice.
    2 Mix cooked rice w/ nuts ( pignoles or pecans chopped), chutney, scallions, stuff quail, works well w/cornish game hens, just takes more. ingredients to stuff birds. Use: pepper, salt,poultry seasoning whatever you like for rub.. Stuff birds w/mixture.
    Cooking
    1 Wrap birds w/bacon , may take 2-3 pieces to totally wrap quail, cornish lay 2-3 pieces on breast and cook indirect breast up. For quail skewer w/large tooth picks or something else to hold the bacon.
    2 Place in oven baking dish on rack to keep drippings underneath or place on BGE and grill using indirect method. Bake 325-350 F for 40-50 minutes until bacon is crispy, Start quail birds breast down, and turn breast up 1/2 way into cook. "V" rack works well for cornish, cook breast up with bacon strips.
    Sauce
    1 Mix the sauce ingredients in a pan on low heat, add raspberry jam first. Tablespoon Dijon, Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar. Lemon juice and seasoning. Bring to slow boil and stir; adjust to your tastes. Orange marmalade may be substituted for the raspberry.
    2 Rest 10 minutes. Serve. If Egging be careful not to let the drippings flare and burn bacon/birds. Great reheated next day.

Servings: 6
    Yield: 6
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour
    Ready in: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, 05/25/02

Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/02/27
    I am going to Quail hunt after the first of the year. I have one or 2 more dove hunts left to do.

I thought about using skewers. I may the next time around or just make Dove perliou(sp?)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    What part of the country are you in?

Wild quail or a plantation style hunt?
  • BBQ BOY
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    What part of the country are you in?

Wild quail or a plantation style hunt?
    Southeast. Plantation hunt
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    This year I cut my breast meat away from the bone. I marinated the breast meat in a nice teriyaki sauce. I cooked them direct on skewers for a few minutes per side. They were my best ever.... ;)