Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky

Options
MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am an old guy on here. I make jerky. I used an old forum's recipe that is bullet proof, Kevi. My problem is that the BGE is too efficient. I use a Big Chief to dry my jerky. I like it like you buy it in the store and perfectly preserved. I have seen most who cook jerky on this forum make it like an over cooked piece of beef. But I want a harder piece. Has anyone ever done this on the Egg?

I am in Michigan and the Big Chief is totally inadequate for making jerky in January. I do not care how many solar blankets you wrap around it. Just don't work.

Now if you have a rig for drying jerky or make it like I like it please let me know. Thanks

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,746
    Options
    i get a much drier product hanging it on a raised grid and cooking it direct with a minimum amount of lump. the trick is keeping the temp at 145 and never letting it spike above 170 degrees. i remember scott borders, scottys inferno, would use a dehydrator the last couple hours to get it even more storebought, maybe ping or email him about it. not sure if kevis method is the same as gfw's pile method, havent seen it in along time, but i do like the pile method, its just different than store bought but still good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Have you let it dry out in the fridge for awhile? I think Scott uses a dehydrator to finish.
    He cooks a lot of jerky.

Mike
  • MAC
    Options
    Hi
    Check out Kevi's site. I have been doing this for 20 years.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
  • MAC
    Options
    http://www.thebbqguru.net/contact_me.htm

So do I get the Dumb A$$ award of the year? LOL
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    That is long gone for someone who wanted to "kick my ass in ribs". LOL

Thanks

Mike
  • stuartlowry
    Options
    Haha definitely off topic! 

This is an extremely old post, but one I am quite interested in. I have been looking at different recipes without a dehydrator, so maybe the egghead?. Plus I do love more tender jerky as oppose to a really dried out piece. Some of the best recipes are just found on google, I do like the simple advice from the main beefjerky domain for a flavoured jerky  "Assemble all your ingredients and mix them up in a plastic bag. Toss in the beef strips until they are well-covered and leave to marinate for 1-2 hours. Lay aluminium foil on the bottom rack of the oven and place the strips on the rack. Let it dry in the oven for 4-6 hours." I have not tried this on the egg yet, but am willing to. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Haha definitely off topic! 

This is an extremely old post, but one I am quite interested in. I have been looking at different recipes without a dehydrator, so maybe the egghead?. Plus I do love more tender jerky as oppose to a really dried out piece. Some of the best recipes are just found on google, I do like the simple advice from the main beefjerky domain for a flavoured jerky  "Assemble all your ingredients and mix them up in a plastic bag. Toss in the beef strips until they are well-covered and leave to marinate for 1-2 hours. Lay aluminium foil on the bottom rack of the oven and place the strips on the rack. Let it dry in the oven for 4-6 hours." I have not tried this on the egg yet, but am willing to. 

I usually marinate overnight, smoke for 30-45 minutes and then put in the dehydrator to desired texture.
    NOLA