Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke Ham on BGE

Options
Seven Seven
Seven Seven Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 3.5# Hormel Ham,(Cure 81) that I want to smoke on my BGE.

Anybody have an idea on how to prepare it? Thanks.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I sent you an email Frank.

To keep it simple just add a little smoking wood, cook it indirect at 325-250 degrees until the ham is heated to 140-145 degrees. You can add a little rub to it and/or inject with maple syrup if you have some handy.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Hi Rod. Have you ever tried a smoked picnic on a BGE? I am thinking of doing one for New Years day.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've done a few. Cook them just like a boston butt - but they generally cook a little quicker.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    As Fidel said, keep it simple. A double smoke of this ham would be wonderful.
    Set up indirect with a few chunks of smoke-wood (I like to use either maple or hickory) with a slow fire of 300 to 325 F.
    A “Cure 81”, being boneless and fully cooked should only take about 13 to 15 minutes / lb. on the Egg, pulling at 140 F.
    I don’t mess with rubs or glazes cause the family likes the ham straight up (so to speak) but I did have one at Christmas dinner that was studded with a few whole cloves. The cloves and extra smoke was a hit.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Great cook, both Fidel and M & M Potatohead has the temps nailed. Just don't over cook, 140° is a good pull temp.

I like Hickory or cherry, both are very good.

Cooked and sliced deli thin. Excellent.
    hamdelicut.jpg

GG