Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket temp/time for perfect cook

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done a lot of research on the forum and web sites about cooking briskets. One thing I try to avoid is asking a question when it has already been answered 100 times (sometimes as recently as yessterday.)[p]I have done a pork butt and followed the "Ward" method with success which seems to be the gold standard among eggsperts. However, in all my research, there is not a consensus for what temp and time to allow for a brisket. Ward says 6-7 hours (for 11 lb.) until internal is 202* with a dome of 275*. Others say 225-250 while allowing 1.5-2 hrs. per lb. [p]Can some brisket eggsperts help an eggspert in training cook a good brisket for his father-in-law's birthday...this is true pressure to perform and I need all the tips I can get.

Comments

• willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Options
    biglabmaggie,
    There is not a great deal of difference between the two time/temp combinations you mention. I think you'd be pleased with the results either way. I've cooked several briskets (whole 12-14lbs) at somewhere between 200-250 dome for about 1.5hrs per lb and been VERY pleased with the results. I'd recommend getting a polder type thermometer if you don't have one so you can monitor the meat temp (particularly towards the end of the cook). I usually use a rub recommended for beef (or montreal steak seasoning...one of my favorites) and mustard on the brisket and cook with the fat cap up. YMMV.