Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Antithesis of Elegance

Options
JB
JB Posts: 510
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In my 6 months of egg ownership and subsequent involvement here, I've been continually impressed, often amazed, at the talent and artistry of the cooking displayed by the folks who frequent this forum. The recent postings of Holiday meals are the perfect example. The rib roasts, crown roasts, beef wellingtons, hams, lobsters and more were beautiful, elegant meals prepared to perfection.

My cook tonight was driven by three things: 1) that balance must be restored to the universe, and this forum, through the posting of an inelegant meal, 2) to satisfy a craving I've had since seeing a recent post here, and 3) the time was right to capitalize on the opportunity to enjoy this meal.

I'm speaking, of course, about Chili Dogs. What could be more inelegant? Since RRP's recent post of his Pearl chili dogs, I've had the craving. My wife is visiting her sister tonight and although she likes a good chili dog from time time, they never seem to like her very well. So here it is:

They're not Pearls, but Nathan's 1/4 pounders aren't too shabby. Martins Hoagie rolls are always the perfect size for large dogs, polish sausages, brats, etc.
Chilidogs12-26-09001.jpg

Setup was CI grid on fire ring, adjustable rig sitting on that, regular grid on top. A simple hot dog chili started with onions and garlic in a CI skillet on the raised grid.
Chilidogs12-26-09002.jpg

Added ground beef, seasoned with kosher salt and DP Cowlick.
Chilidogs12-26-09003.jpg

Next, a can of Dei Fratelli crushed tomatoes, salt. pepper, chili powder and cumin.
Chilidogs12-26-09004.jpg

Then the franks went on underneath the chili on the CI grid.
Chilidogs12-26-09005.jpg

Removed chili, toasted buns above the dogs
Chilidogs12-26-09006.jpg

Perfect fit
Chilidogs12-26-09007.jpg

Not one to be totally devoid of elegance, note these were served on a real plate (not paper), white tablecloth, and I even poured my beer in a glass!
Chilidogs12-26-09008.jpg

A little mustard, relish, chili and extra sharp "aged reserve" white cheddar. It's Cracker Barrel cheese I bought at Publix for 4 bucks so not quite sure for whom it is "reserved", but it served it's purpose well.
Chilidogs12-26-09009.jpg

A Happy and Prosperous New Year to All!

Jeff

Comments